1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prose texts at GCSE

Discussion in 'English' started by Azael, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Again, just a quickie. Which prose texts are most popular in your school/college for teaching at GCSE? Many thanks in anticipation. Really vital research.

2. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Of Mice and Men is the old favourite and top sets do To Kill a Mockingbird. Both are really successful, although TKAM would be a huge challenge for any groups below high ability in my opinion. OMAM is much easier for locating key quotations and the smaller number of characters makes it more manageable.
    We've decided to stick with these for the new syllabus, but may change later when we've fully got our heads around things!

3. Personally I'd give To Kill a Mockingbird to everyone and Of Mice and Men to top sets. Short doesn't mean simple, and it seems to me the more difficult of the two.

4. millicent_bystander

I agree partly, Of Mice and Men is a rich text and you can get so much out of it, but in terms of requirements for examination, it also works well with lower ability. In terms of question type in examination, I've always found To Kill a Mockingbird works best with higher ability students.
    Horses for courses I guess [​IMG]

5. Of Mice and Lord of the Flies for exam and Dickens and Hardy for pre 1914. Usually Hard Times, Great Rxpectations, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, Tess and Mayor of Casterbridge.

6. gingerella

gingerella New commenter

Whilst off sick at the end of last term I wrote a SOW for the new AQA specs for Purple Hibiscus.Since I was interrupted by surgery and lots of drugs is there anybody out there who would mind havivng a look at it to check I have covered the specs correctly? If it is OK I will bung it and IWB stuff I did to go with it on resources I just dont want to look an idiot!

7. Thanks for the replies so far. Any more contributions very welcome. Ta.

8. manc

manc New commenter

Personally I'd give To Kill a Mockingbird to everyone and Of Mice and Men to top sets. Short doesn't mean simple, and it seems to me the more difficult of the two.

Long doesn't mean easy either. That assertion makes no sense at all. To talk about doing TKAM for everyone and OMAM for top sets takes counter-intuitiveness to the level of perversity. It's obvious which text is more challenging.

9. Charliechan

Charliechan New commenter

Are you talking about coursework or examinations?

Coursework- Jane Eyre, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations,
    Exams- 2nd and middle sets- Of Mice and Men
    Top sets- Lord of the flies
    To kill a Mockingbird

10. Both please. Fair point. I am gathering together some teaching aids...some textual hints and some film-based and want to "hit" the most popular texts in order to help the maximum number of colleagues. Hope that makes sense. No use expending energy on a text nobody teaches. Looking at the above posts, it is clear that OM&M and TKaM are top of the list so far. One or two others are not far behind.

I willl draw up a list when we get a few more hits. In turn, this list might be useful for your department to see which texts others are doing. I am also surveying Shakespeare plays at GCSE if you look on the forum. Again, I wish to "hit" the common denominators. Ta.

11. anteater

anteater New commenter

Mice and Men for exam text. For coursework most of us use Frankenstein, Jeckyll and Hyde, Oliver Twist or Jane Eyre.

12. Very interesting patterns developing here. Thanks again to all contributors. I reckon with at least another 20 responses I can start to make headway. VERY USEFUL. Ta.

13. ceehorse

ceehorse New commenter

We do OMAM, TKAMB and Lord of the Flies, all for exam. Am horrified that all sets are going to have to do OMAM for new specs - 'not enough time' to teach anything else. Also I have expressed concern that the students in my school will not be doing any pre 1900 prose again. I feel this really disadvantages those who go on to do A level English Literature. We have done Sherlock Holmes, Jane Eyre, Oliver Twist and Pride & Prejudice for coursework in the past - all very successfully.

14. Thanks for this. Good input here. Which board have you opted to follow from 2010?

15. millicent_bystander

Thank you! [​IMG]

16. Up until now we have done LOTF for exam, Jane Eyre for coursework. Doing the new AQA spec; going for Great Expectations for coursework and Mr Pip for exam.

17. Help! Running out of time. Just changed my mind about doing 'Purple Hibiscus' with boys. Do you have any resources for Mr Pip that you'd be willing to share? Thanks

18. toxy

toxy New commenter

salesian - is this for quite a high ability group?
    My top set found Mister Pip quite challenging; come summer exam time, I was relieved that I had used it for the Engl Lang 3a CA in the winter. Some still went into the exam a bit nervous about being able to locate quotes and such.
    Despite this, I quite enjoyed the
    opportunity to get creative with a fresh text and would probably use it
    again - with a good top set.
    I don't have my resources to hand, but there are some very good starting points
    here: http://teachingmisterpip.wikispaces.com/. Much of what I did with my lot was a
    variation thereof. There are a couple of good teachit resources as well,
    particularly one modelling close analysis of a chunk of text.