1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pros and cons of signing up to an agency.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Zebby1999, May 8, 2020.

1. Zebby1999

Zebby1999 New commenter

I'm looking for a Primary NQT position (not supply) September 2020 and noticed there are a few jobs being advertised by agencies.
    At my second placement school, an NQT told me never to make the same mistake she did by signing up to an agency.

What are the pros and cons of getting my NQT job through an agency?

2. ajc89

ajc89 New commenter

I just stick to my County’s teaching job website - they name the schools whereas my supply agencies don’t. Also, you might get supply wage for the first 12 weeks? That normally happens when you are doing a long term role and then the school take you on full time but you don’t get a school contract until 12 weeks have passed, could be the same with apply for a job through an agency? Never done it that way so don’t know, but not knowing the schools have always put me off because you can’t look on the website before hand if going via agency

3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

You might find all the advertised jobs on an agency site are a tad....misleading.....

Try calling them and asking about a specific ad you have seen. I will eat my hat if they say come in and they will arrange an interview for that particular job. (Usual trick is it is an old ad that does not get taken down or once I had an agency admit was run 'as an example of what we may be able to find for you')

The website is designed to get you to sign up. The ads are there to entice you - hey some may well be genuine but I say beware!

In my experience agencies are best as gap fillers, short term work to tide you over.

What your friend may have experienced is if you accept long term and do not negotiate higher pay and pay during the holidays before you start then it can get messy working through an agency. The school will want you at all meetings and marking tests etc during the holidays...but you could be on the lower daily rate and without pay in that time.

So by all means use an agency BUT be very, very sure to get an agreed pay structure before you do.

lau_bellagamba likes this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I agree with @dumpty. Most jobs advertised by agencies are just switch-bait.

steely1 and ajc89 like this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Pros - agencies can market you

Cons - they take a huge cut, many schools now add “no agencies” under their job adverts

Also, no teachers pension, teacher sick pay, holiday pay, etc...

My agency does advertise real jobs..but it duplicates them. For instance, English Teacher - Trumpton, English Teacher - Camberwick Green, English Teacher - Chigley and about 4 or 5 neighbourhoods in the same area...(It does use real place names).

If you want a permanent job apply direct. There is a govt website now.

Look up local schools near you and find their websites. They will have a vacancy page.

If you have no job in September, by all means sign up with an agency and say you want long term Supply. While there apply for January permanent jobs direct.

TheoGriff likes this.
  6. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

And if you take a day to interview for a post elsewhere you won’t be paid for it. You will, however, be expected to set cover work if you’re there on long term supply.

Also be aware that many agencies will tout you out as a cover supervisor and many schools will only want a cover supervisor for daily supply. That means a lot less money.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

:) Love it!

Many Local Authorities also have websites that include education vacancies, so try that. As well as TES and eteach, of course, which should be your go-to places. You can on TES sign up for an Alert to get automatic notifications when a particular type of job is posted. So if you choose Primary, Gloucester, or perhaps Deputy Head, Independent School, teaching History, Hull. You set the parameters.

Eteach deals with a wide range of job possibilities. Here's what they say.
    Keep safe, everyone

lau_bellagamba likes this.