1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pros and cons of long notice period

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by avenka, May 7, 2019.

1. avenka

avenka New commenter

Very long term planning here, but what do people feel are the pros and cons of giving a long (9 months +) notice period as a Head? Instinctively I feel it is right to give the longest possible period, so the school can plan for my succession, but is there a downside (for me or the school)? Genuinely interested in people's thoughts on this.

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I gave ten months. The governors were a bit slow off the mark and wasted some of it but they appreciated having plenty of time. For myself it meant that I felt a little less pressure but still had to work hard all the way through. Ofsted visited just before the end so you can’t let anything go.

avenka likes this.
  3. R13

R13 New commenter

In my experience the cons are how people treat you after they know you are going and the pros are for the organisation as Governors need a lot of time and a lot of help

Perhaps it also helps reduce some of the stress - not because you can relax BUT because you know there is an end in sight

avenka and Sundaytrekker like this.
  4. Sundaytrekker

Exactly that. I remember a head years before saying to me,’That’s SEP’. I thought I’d missed something important till she explained she was retiring the next year and some things she just filed as Someone Else’s Problem in her mind. It helped.

avenka likes this.
  5. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I plan to retire in December 2020 and I plan to inform my CoG that I’ll be retiring in January/ February 2020, giving them almost a year’s notice of my intentions to retire. This is so that they can prepare for the recruitment of my successor and appoint a strong candidate for the position. The pros of this are that for yourself, you’ve got a set date as to when you’re going to leave and that you can start preparing for this. What you may find after you tender your resignation is that the CoG will take away certain responsibilities from you. You’ve still got to give you all to the role and the school as another poster said, you could still get OFSTED in your notice period, especially, if you haven’t had an inspection for a number of years.

6. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I wonder how much a long, public notice period reduces your ability to affect change,
    That might not be an issue for your school - but I know if I said now that I was going at Christmas, it'd be really hard to keep the team motivated.
    When my last HT said she was leaving (in Feb for July), there was lots of "Well we can't decide the because you won't be here".... "We can't change that because the new HT might want to do something else"... It might have been better for Governors to have kept it to themselves a bit longer, until they were ready to advertise ...

7. Sundaytrekker

My governors did that. Only my deputy knew before it was ready to advertise. Although that in itself can be tricky because most governors were parents. They had to realise the importance of confidentiality when school staff did not know.