1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Proposed Strike on 30th November 2011

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by walnuthead, Nov 10, 2011.

1. I agree, it is totally out of order. I would speak to your local council education department, and/or contact your MP about it to express your feelings about it. I wish more parents would do so. It will be disgraceful if schools are shut because of the head only going on strike. I think striking should be banned in education and health, as it is within the police.

2. But if the head has shut the school, don't blame the teachers who do not wish to strike! It's well and truly not their fault and they should not lose their pay because of a striking head if they would otherwise be happy to work.

3. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

And just let the Government just walk over those who work in those areas.

4. Freya13

Freya13 New commenter

How is this allowed? Out of interest, are you primary or secondary? How many got paid for not striking but got the day off?
    This shouldn't be the way it works!

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

If the school is closed for any reason (strikes, weather etc.) then clearly teachers can not go in. Teachers not on strike can be directed to work at home e.g. reports, marking, setting work online etc. Teachers on strike would not have to do this

6. coppull

coppull New commenter

Confirmed

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I suspect the OP doesn't care about what teachers at home are doing. It strikes me she's merely put out at losing her free childcare for the day.

8. If a Head was the only member of staff to take action they should not close the school. If they did then they should be reported to the LA.
    Schools where there are staff striking, should only be closed to pupils if their health and safety could not be guaranteed. ie there would be insufficient staff to supervise them.
    Staff who were not taking action should be expected to attend work, again providing any RA ensured it was safe for them to do so.

9. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

Yeah, I agree with Blackdog. I asked my HT if she was striking and she said no, but even if she was, the school would still be open. Pah!

10. Teachers on strike won't do a thing, believe me. They are generally a lazy, militant bunch. ;) (Awaits nasty comment from YMB) Teachers not on strike but whose schools close because of other staff striking should be working from home, or in school (but not teaching) if they are allowed in the building, which they may well not be. Just how it is.

11. I think she is quite entitled to be put out. She may be working, it may cause a lot of hassle for her. Unnecessary hassle.

12. In 21 years of teaching this is the first time I've ever been on strike. Striking is a last resort but it is our right in a democratic society.

Striking will cost me a day's pay. It will also mean that I will end up with a backlog of work (the work I normally do in my non-contact periods and after school is a lot more than the work I will not have to do because of the lessons I'll miss). It's really not convenient and I'm not being lazy - it's a matter of principle.

It's very tempting to spend the day at home catching up with sleep and with the marking, planning and preparation that I don't normally get time to do, but as it's a strike I'll be joining in strike activity. I am sure I'm typical of the majority of those of us who will be striking. Lazy really doesn't describe it.