1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Proposed new MFL National Curriculum Level Descriptors

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by HelenMyers, May 28, 2009.

1. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Can I draw your attention to the public consultation on proposed new MFL National Curriculum Level Descriptors. The consultation ends 24th July.
    The direct link is <u>http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_22260.aspx</u><font size="2"> (or enter </font><u>www.qca.org.uk/curriculumconsultation</u><font size="2"> and then click on "subject level descriptions"). </font>
    You will note that the main difference is that teachers will now need to assess an additional strand: 'Intercultural Understanding'.<font size="2"> As a consequence of adding the additional strand, it has been necessary to merge Speaking and Listening into one attainment target, and Reading and Writing into another attainment target.
    The guidance does not deal with assessing a pupil whose reading skill is different from their writing, or whose listening is different from their speaking.
    It is important that teachers contribute to the consultation. A report will be produced on the outcomes of the consultation.
    To assist those who wish to take time to consider their answers, and to discuss with colleagues before submitting a representative response, I have made a copy of the questions for both the initial registration and the consultation itself in a word document on the site below: (along with the overview and the proposed level descriptors).
    <u>http://www.all-london.org.uk/level_descriptors_09.htm</u>
    </font><font size="2">Hope this helps.
    Helen
    </font>

2. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Can I draw your attention to the public consultation on proposed new MFL National Curriculum Level Descriptors. The consultation ends 24th July.
    The direct link is <u>http://www.qca.org.uk/qca_22260.aspx</u><font size="2"> (or enter </font><u>www.qca.org.uk/curriculumconsultation</u><font size="2"> and then click on "subject level descriptions"). </font>
    You will note that the main difference is that teachers will now need to assess an additional strand: 'Intercultural Understanding'.<font size="2"> As a consequence of adding the additional strand, it has been necessary to merge Speaking and Listening into one attainment target, and Reading and Writing into another attainment target.
    The guidance does not deal with assessing a pupil whose reading skill is different from their writing, or whose listening is different from their speaking.
    It is important that teachers contribute to the consultation. A report will be produced on the outcomes of the consultation.
    To assist those who wish to take time to consider their answers, and to discuss with colleagues before submitting a representative response, I have made a copy of the questions for both the initial registration and the consultation itself in a word document on the site below: (along with the overview and the proposed level descriptors).
    <u>http://www.all-london.org.uk/level_descriptors_09.htm</u>
    </font><font size="2">Hope this helps.
    Helen
    </font>

3. mpc

mpc

Thanks for the link, Helen.
    Oh Lordie Lordie! Am I alone in despairing at so many new initiatives? I can see where the intercultural understanding comes in (as a result of primary MFL coming on line) and the increased importance of community cohesion (both good things in themselves) but where do we draw the line in terms of assessment? I can also see that listening/speaking and reading/writing are inextricably linked but equally we need to show where students' strengths lie - some are much better at the more receptive skills so we need to be able to unpick these a bit more.
    Half term rant over - mpc [​IMG]

4. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

Thanks Helen,
    I've read the consultation stuff and I don't know what to think. As far as I can make out, a student could get exceptional level in AT3 without actually achieving a level 1 in AT1 & AT2.
    I also have many students who have different levels in reading than in writing, the new proposals don't take this into account.
    sam[​IMG]

5. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

That was my initial thought as well, sam. At no point does it say that the ICU stuff has to be done in the target language, so we assume that it's all done in English. If it's intended to be done in the TL, how do these levels intermesh with the writing ones ? I'm guessing QCA are trying to simplify things by merging 4 ATs down to 2, but IMO it'll make giving a level even more complex.

6. Am in state of disbelief.
    I am not sure what is more shocking ...
    1) at A level, any knowledge of the target language country / coummunities has practically disappeared off the syllabus OR
    2) that there's now this Mickey Mouse AT3 target
    Any normal teacher gets their bottom set Y9 class not taking a MFL at GCSE level to do a 'project' on Paris or Bundeslaender of Germany for the last term. Does this mean because they know Eurodisney is in Paris, French wear stripey tops and eat snails while Brits binge drink and have kebabs that they are Level 7? At least end of KS3 targets will be achieved.
    GL

7. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I've just been reading the Consultation Overview document http://tinyurl.com/mw5lgk and have noted this paragraph at the end, which I think is interesting in the light of the many discussions that we have had about levelling in general and when the levels should be used:
    All proposed changes would come into effect
    for key stage 3 in 2011 when the first statutory
    assessment takes place at end of year 9. At
    this point the first group of pupils would have
    covered the new secondary curriculum since
    the start of year 7 in 2008.

8. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

Also, am I right in thinking that the Languages Ladder, which the powers-that-be are so keen on, assesses the four skills separately ? Seems a bit odd, then, that QCA are proposing such a radical change to the MFL ATs while maintaining that:
    "The level descriptions for the revised attainment targets 1 and 2 are largely unchanged, therefore maintain current standards and congruence with the Languages Ladder."
    Surely for congruence with the Languages Ladder and ease of assessment using both NC levels and the LL, the ATs should be the same for both ?

9. mpc

mpc

Statutory assessment in which sense - surely not SATs? Sorry for being a numpty - does this mean simply reporting of teacher levels.
    Ta,
    mpc [​IMG]

10. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Yes. Teacher Assessment collection is a statutory requirement for maintained KS3 schools (for core and non-core subjects). I love your use of emoticons mpc![​IMG] (did it work?!)

11. salsera

salsera New commenter

I am totally amazed! They have made an AT out of what is done implicitly any way.
    As we only have to give an overall Level at the end of KS3 students could quite easily get a L7 or even 8 in AT3 and a L5 in AT1 and AT2 and would get a L6 overall.
    That automatically boosts results at KS3! It will also influence depts' added value at KS4!
    Just leave languages alone!
    [​IMG]

12. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

Is it acceptable to not understand this thread?

13. mpc

mpc

Yip, it worked! [​IMG]

14. Friday evening of half term, now feeling seriously depressed. Serve me right for reading an MFL thread in the holidays. I guess it will be like everything else - some of us will keep our heads down, not making too much fuss and hoping to goodness management don't try to work out what's going on, while others run round in ever decreasing circles, trying to 'do it properly'.

15. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

Correction for post 9:
    Sorry, I was remembering a QCA slide from last year ... but the world has changed since KS3 NCTs were abolished ...
    My understanding is that non core levels need to be reported to parents but are not going to be collected centrally... but I'm in the process of finding absolute clarification for this.

16. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

..... but the first stage houserabbit is to register your feelings via the public consultation. Normally not many people do this (often admittedly because time scales are sometimes short or fall in the holidays).. I was surprised at how few responses there were to the KS4 consultation. But perhaps leave it til after the weekend and try to think of something else for now!!!

17. Been teaching 3 ATs instead of 4 in Wales since Sept. We also have to ensure various skills are covered. When you take time to compare the old NC requirements (in Wales) to the new there are only a few changes.- AT1/2 is now called Oracy to bring us inline with English and Welsh and level 5 doesn't have ant reference to time frames anymore.
    Basically the wheel was reinvented and sent to us all in newer packaging

Don't worry whatever changes do happen at least you are being consulted!

18. sam enerve

sam enerve New commenter

I don't suppose it matters that much, we just make them up as we go along anyway...don't we?
    sam[​IMG]

19. ambi

ambi New commenter

I feel like I'm losing it!! If I hadn't read this thread this would have just passed me by - it is the first I've heard of it. Will we be given info about this soon? I feel like I am sinking fast with the new GCSE coming in in Sept, new KS3 textbooks to introduce, new moves afoot in our school at least to radically change KS3 to year 7 and year 8 with a view to doing all sorts of impossible things with the year 9s. Help!!

20. HelenMyers

HelenMyers New commenter

New KS3 curriculum started in Sep 08 for current Y7 (this includes all the things mentioned above by Hennapen .. in fact, when I did a comparison of old vs new there wasn;t really much different in the actual ML PoS (e.g. culutral understanding has always been there) ... and there always have been all the cross curricular elements .. it was just a bit hidden in the preface)
    Attainment targets and levels had been slightly revised for the new KS3 curriculum.
    The proposal is to change the ATs mid-stream for the current Y7, to be reported at the end of their Y9 (i.e. June 2011).
    I've put together a document which may be useful fo rsoe peopel formulatng their responses .. will sort this out tonight.
    I agree with Geekie .. don't change anything ... register your recommendations!