1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Proposed double summer time - not light til gone 9am in the winter

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Waterfin, Feb 21, 2011.

1. As much as I like the idea of lighter later, I don't think I relish the idea of a dark playground full of children in the Winter months....or getting up and dropping my own children off in the dark on the days I don't work. Things are hectic enough with traffic and road crossing conditions at the best of times outside most schools and I think that it could cause more accidents.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

Maybe just scotland could do it!! Like minature time zones

3. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I'd hate that.
    I would like to start at 10am in the winter so we can have a later start!

4. Something would have to change. At the moment, both at my Primary and at my children's I see children being dropped off into the school grounds and left unattended by parents who then whiz off to work at a time before the school is officially responsible for them.
    By the time we are officially on the clock, so to speak, there is nearly a full school's worth of children on the yard, many without parents in tow.
    Just imagining the same situation, but in the pitch dark is a bit of a worry.
    Starting the day later and finishing it later would seem to undo the intention of changing the daylight savings though.

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

More children get knocked down and killed in the dark evenings when drivers are tired, than in the mornings. We get up in the dark in the winter anyway...

6. Been there , done it and loved the t-shirt!

It worked really well cos the school started its day much later than in summer... can't remember the exact time but was maybe 9:45 am, leaving at 4pm, with shortened lunch time

Was really good!

7. I'd be interested to see the stats on this.
    The proposals would mean several more weeks of dark mornings in the winter for the whole country, not just Scotland. And road conditions are always significantly worse in the mornings in winter because of the overnight drop in temperature. I'm out most mornings by around 6.30 and there were many mornings this last winter when motorists were skidding around on black ice and it was actually quite difficult to walk on the pavements. The only reason there were so few accidents was because there are relatively few cars on the road at that time of day.
    So each year you'd have several more weeks of very large numbers of people, including motorists and young children on foot, being out in icy conditions, in the dark. Hmmm....
    Most children are home from school by the time it gets dark in the winter, so I suspect the increase in the rate of accidents would be in the mornings.
    I was at school during the experiment with this in the 1960s - it was grim - and the plan was abandoned because of the increased risk to children.

8. I hope this doesn't come to pass - I suffer incredibly from SAD and the dark mornings tend to kill me more than anything else to be honest, I can deal with it getting dark early in the evening but it's the mornings that sap my soul - I'm already about 75/25 on being able to get through the dark months without antidepressants - it would put it pretty much as a dead certainty that I'd be on them every single year.
    I NEED that shot of daylight before work starts or I'm just wrecked emotionally and mentally (to the extent I've been known to drive around in winter with the sunroof wide open at times!)