1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Proper Pension

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by alansimonbrown, May 11, 2011.

1. A plead to overseas teachers – don’t sell yourselves short!

The reason is that Yes! the teaching profession in the UK is not well paid compared to other professions yet. You are never going to be broke. If you have a pension (teaching) you get
    • Death in service: Pension to spouse…(+ lump sum tax free ie 3* salary AND pension)
    • Every pond put in the school has to put in 2 (‘the best pension there is’). Even the police put in more and receive less!

I have worked o’seas and have been amazed how poor we actually are. If these places that want us are any good they will, at the very least, recognise us as professionals instead of the ‘hired help’. Overseas schools should recognise this and reward accordingly. A little ditty:

If you can’t afford to pay the rates in my country,
    You can take someone else,
    For they are always
    Maybe more often
    Home and
    Available

Discuss…

2. Pension is the best. And some overseas posts don't pay well at all.
    I am having to save/invest an awful lot as I am not in the Teachers' Pension.
    But the weather, the lifestyle and in my case, the kids are worth the sacrifice.
    It is a different life, a less stressed life .
    Yes, pension is good but the 30/40 years of teaching in the UK beforehand....?

3. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

You have a good point FP. We have a few rising unionists in the school trying to convince everyone to strike. I think any one, paying into the TPS or not, needs to save and invest as well. A pension is important in life but why give up your today for a tomorrow that might never happen. Invest but make the right choices to live your life. None of use want to look back at 70 and think "I wish I had..."