1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Proof that you can use Casio fx-9750GII in exams

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by brookes, Mar 20, 2010.

1. I've tried Google, Edexcel's website etc to no avail. Does anyone have any evidence I can use to convince the neccessary people that our students can use this calculator in their A-Level exams?

2. maths126

maths126 New commenter

<a target="_blank"> https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6026598[/URL]

3. Thanks maths126, what a useful aide, this has helped loads.

4. The exam boards will not give a definitive list of allowed and not allowed calculators - I know I've asked! However if you wanted something to share with the Powers That Be, then you could try page 9 of http://www.jcq.org.uk/attachments/published/898/2.%20ICE%2009-10.pdf, which gives the JCQ regs for what is permissible...
    If it is Edexcel you could also try emailing Graham Cumming and see if he has anything you could use...
    There is a lot of confusion over what is allowed but the basic answer is almost everything (exceptions are anything that does CAS - TI89, TI92, TI Voyager, TI-Nspire CAS (grey one), Casio Classpad etc which are all both hard to find and very expensive)

5. It's worth adding the reason there is no definitive list is that calculators change so quickly... math126's presentation is great but excludes several calculators that some of my students use (which are allowed). For example there are the new - Casio FX83GT+, and FX911+ which replace the 83ES and 911ES; there are the TI-Nspire calculators; the TI-Multiview Scientific calculators; the Sharp Scientific, the new Casio FX9750GII...
    Whilst it is definitely useful to have lists of calculators as most things are allowed it is probably simpler to maintain a list of what isn't allowed which is much smaller!! However for use in your particular school it can be useful to have a list of recommended calcs like maths126's list so that most people are using roughly the same thing!

6. Sorry - another thing!
    It may be worth contacting your supplier (if you buy on behalf and resell to students) and ask them to provide evidence that it can be used in the exams... As they will be making some money out of you they may be willing to put in the leg work to provide some evidence...

7. This is one annoying thing. I bought calculators (thousands of pounds' worth) that said "suitable for Edexcel A-Level maths", only to be told by a colleague they couldn't be used. He quoted the front of the exam paper, and I'm having trouble convincing him that the fx-9750GII aren't "algebraic manipulators" and that the memory merely needs emptying.
    I understand some schools even leave that responsibility/liability with the students.
    I appreciate that a full list is perhaps inappropriate, but Edexcel should be able to confirm that a certain calc is allowed or not allowed.

8. zinco

zinco New commenter

I don't see why it's inappropriate to expect Edexcel to publish either a list of acceptable calculators - more viable, I think, than trying to list all the banned ones.
    Calculator manufacturers could then forward a sample of their calculator to the board if they want them included.
    The board could then keep a list of acceptable calculators on their website and manufacturers will no doubt put Edexcel acceptable on all their documentation.

9. This is the correct procedure as laid down by the JCQ. Students need to be informed before any exam that their calculators must not have any of the following <font face="Tahoma" size="2">facilities:</font>

<font face="CourierNewPSMT" size="2">
    </font><font face="CourierNewPSMT" size="2">
    </font><font face="CourierNewPSMT" size="2">
    </font><font face="Tahoma" size="2"><font face="Tahoma" size="2"> the exam. Unless your colleague is going to be sitting an exam this year dont see why you have to convinice him that the fx-9750GII is OK to use.
    </font></font>

10. The one that tends to confuse people is that 'symbolic algebraic manipulation' does not include any numerical solving routines... So Polynomial, and Simultaneous equation solvers; numerical differentiation at a point, and definite intergration are all fine...

It is only stuff that could you a solution interms of a variable that is not allowed and these are collectively known as CAS calculators.

11. While not definitive, the Amazon UK page for this model states that it is "Approved for use in all public examinations where a calculator is
    allowed."

12. The reason they won't is that they don't want to be seen as endorsing any particular product... A list of banned calculators would be MUCH simpler as I could probably count them all on my fingers where as there are a multitude of different scientific calculators which are all allowed most of which I have never actually seen...

13. maths126

maths126 New commenter

I'll be happy to update the resource in Post 2 if people are happy to send me good quality jpegs (min 50kb) of the various models I haven't mentioned. (Email Mr F at Maths Is Fun Dot Net )
    As AnotherMathsHoD has posted, it would be crazy to list all the acceptable models (we would have to include all the "Pound Shop" basic ones too...) but ones commonly found in school would be appropriate.
    @ AnotherMathsHod: I can't find anything about the "Plus" version of the Casio fx-911 ES so would be grateful for a link.
    More usefully, can we not reasonably expect our invigilators to be trained in the checking of calculators? They really only need to be able to verify empty memories (of the calculators, not the students!) and bring suspect calculator models to the Lead Invigilator (who would have a pictorial guide).

14. maths126

maths126 New commenter

Fab, thanks.
    Will try to upload an updated version of the pictorial guide before EOT. [​IMG]

15. That's never stopped them with text books! I bet they just never thought of it. Email them and suggest an Edexcel-branded calculator. Maybe they will give you commission?
    This would certainly be easier, but there is a flaw, in that if a list is published of calcs that are not permitted and then Calc X is released then it won't appear on the list. Even if it is dodgy (!) then people will assume it can be used.
    I vote for those that are allowed being approved by JCQ (or whatever the acronym is - the group that coordinates exam dates, etc).

16. maths126

maths126 New commenter

I have revised my list of suitable and unsuitable calculators and saved it out as a PowerPoint presentation. It is now ready to be printed out in booklet form and passed to Exam Officers and Invigilators.
    It will never be complete, but it does use as its main references the advice from Edexcel (esp. from Graham Cumming in particular) and from JCQ. Hope it helps!
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6026598

17. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Does amybody know if the latest TI Nspire, in 'Press to Test" mode, is allowed in A-level, as it is in the IB?
    BTW, the IB publishes a recommended list. It is only GDCs, so there are less models to choose from, but perhaps the UK boards could follow suit.

18. DM

DM New commenter

Piranha,
    From Graham Cumming of Edexcel:
    "

Casio: <font size="2" face="Arial">Algebra FX2.0, Algebra FX2.0 PLUS, ClassPad 300, ClassPad 300 PLUS, ClassPad 330</font>
    Hewlett Packard: <font size="2" face="Arial">HP 40G, HP 40GS, HP 48G, HP 48G II, HP 49G, HP 49G PLUS, HP 50G</font>
    Texas Instruments: <font size="2" face="Arial">TI-89, TI-89 (Titanium), TI-92, TI-92 PLUS, Voyage 200, TI-</font>n<font size="2" face="Arial">spire CAS</font>
    [/b] be used, though it can probably be assumed that any calculator that is not on the list above is permissible. This includes graphical calculators, those which can perform numerical differentiation and integration, manipulate matrices, change bases, etc. Calculator manufacturers are quite canny in making sure their latest models adhere to the regulations, so chances are anything that's come out recently is also allowed.
    Wherever possible we try to set questions which obviates any advantage a student may obtain from such calculators - a basic scientificcalculator should be considered sufficient for the demands of the GCSE, AS and A level papers."
    </font>

19. Piranha

Piranha Lead commenter

Thanks, DM, that's very clear.