1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

proof of progress in primary schools that go to yr 5?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by totallyflipped, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I have been shortlisted for interview for DH role at a primary that only goes up to Year 5. Part of the role involves assessment. In the absence of SATs - how do such schools show proof of progress for externals such as OFsted? Does lack of year 6 prevent such schools from reaching outstanding (in eyes of Ofsted)?
    Thanks in advance
    TF

2. I have been shortlisted for interview for DH role at a primary that only goes up to Year 5. Part of the role involves assessment. In the absence of SATs - how do such schools show proof of progress for externals such as OFsted? Does lack of year 6 prevent such schools from reaching outstanding (in eyes of Ofsted)?
    Thanks in advance
    TF

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Optional tests? Teacher Assessments? APP?

All these relative to a secure baseline assessment are plenty good enough to show progress.

Of course outstanding schools don't necessarily need year 6!! In fact in some schools getting rid of year 6 would help massively!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

No help to your question - but middle schools that only go up to Year 8 have similar problems regarding external assessment. The accelerated ks3 has gone some way to resolve this for them.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

When I was in middle school (oh the good old days!) we used initial assessments on entry in year 5 and then optional tests each year and SATs in year 6. We also got results of KS3 SATs from our main upper schools which helped.

I worked in one that was outstanding overall (science was an outstanding subject, English and maths both good) and another that was good overall (maths and English both good), but went into SM shortly after, though attainment and progress were still considered good.

It is perfectly possible to show that you are a good or outstanding school without external final exams, but you do have to make sure your assessments are rigorous and believable.