1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Proof of Induction

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by James_Williams, Mar 28, 2011.

  1. This really is an unfortunate situation. Neither the LA nor the school cfan help? You should have received copies of all the induction paperwork to keep and I'm afraid that it is your repsonsibility to keep these just in case sucha situation as this arises. As you say it is unfortunate, but unless you can show that you did complete induction then an LA/the GTCE may insist that you still have to do this. I would contact your union for help and advice and asee if there is anything that they can retrieve. Could your mentor be tracked using the GTCE database to confirm your version of the induction? If, as you suspect a school did not do its job properly then that is reprehensible, but I can see it happening in a few isolated (I hope) cases. It may well be that the GTCE could rule that you need only to serve one or two terms to gain the necessary induction standards.
    Get union advice and seek advice from the GTCE about possible solutions to your problem.

  2. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    If you're staying in FE, you don't need Induction at all.
    I'm surprised that you continued to pay for GTC membership when not teaching in the State 5-16 sector. You are mistaken in saying that someone would be struck off the register if they hadn't completed Induction in a set time. There never was an obligation to complete in a specific time, simply an 'expectation' that Induction would be completed within 5 years of starting Induction. That expectation was removed in Sept 2007 and Induction can take as long as you like now, or as long as it takes to get suitable employment.
    I hope that you at least claimed Tax relief for the GTC registration (and for Union fees). If not, you canback claim for the past 5 years. Check back what the GTC fee was in previous years and download a Tax relief form from their website (one for each tax year) and submit the completed forms tothe Inland revenue.
    The Induction certificate is sent to your school, usually around November time if you completed in July. They should then have sent it on to you if you left a forwarding address.
    Do you recall seeing the final paperwork and having the opportunity to add your comments?
  3. Thanks for the advice Jubilee.

Share This Page