1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pronunciation - enjambment

Discussion in 'English' started by tfdisguise, Jan 26, 2016.

1. tfdisguise

tfdisguise New commenter

Hi all,

I have a bit of a silly dilemma - I have an interview tomorrow and am teaching unseen poetry. I know that at some point during the lesson, we will be analysing the use of enjambment.

I have always pronounced this in the French way ("Aw(n)-jahm-man") but is it correct to actually pronounce it in the English accent as it is spelt ("en-jamb-ment")?

I don't want to show myself up at interview! Advice greatly appreciated!

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm not an expert, but this page has an example of its pronunciation from the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (British - blue speaker icon).

tfdisguise likes this.
  3. tfdisguise

tfdisguise New commenter

Thanks - that suggests the English accent way I posted above, but I still have a feeling that is wrong! Argh!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Perhaps you could tell the students that they might hear it pronounced two ways? Will it be a new word to them? If not, you could ask them how they have been taught to pronounce it.

5. tfdisguise

tfdisguise New commenter

Good idea - thanks!

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

7. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Like strawberry jam for me. I think if you say it with a French accent you're in danger of sounding like one of those people that orders pizza from Domino's in an Italian accent. Good luck :)

pepper5 likes this.