1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sensorysurvivor, Nov 27, 2017.

1. sensorysurvivor

sensorysurvivor New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently been promote but have to move into another room in order to gain this position as there is not one available within my current room. I have gone from a Senior Nursery Nurse to a Team Leader.
    I have never really worked with the new team for any longer than an hour. Our owner/manager is concerned as there has been issues within the playroom and wants me to shake it up. Also that there doesn't seem to be much routine.
    I have spent some time in there today and I don't officially move until after Christmas and am feeling overwhelmed with the amount of work that needs doing. I finished at 5 and have only really just stopped looking for ideas.
    Also, wanting to get the staff a little something as if to say I appreciate you working with me on improving this.

Any ideas would be great.
    Thanks in advance

2. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

It's an unusual dilemma, perhaps needing quite specific advice. I wonder if posting on the Early Years Forum would be useful?

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Well done for gaining promotion.
    My managerial advice rather than EY advice is to talk to alll the people and observe while you're still based in the other room.
    Have a proper talk with the manager about the expectations they have for the room. If there are personality clashes among the issues, maybe getting people moved to a different room might be something to think about.

thekillers likes this.
  4. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

Wary of 'getting them a little something.' I think this comes once expectations are established, roles and responsibilities, accountabilities, systems and routines. Once things settle then that's the time to be 'treating.'

Be harsh and I don't mean with them but with yourself and what your role is. Lead, don't care.....if you lead well it shows you care :)

Pomza likes this.
  5. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

PS, if there are personality clashes beware of pandering or getting involved. Also be wary of them going over your head if/when you do start to settle things out. I was taken on in two posts to sort out 'bad teamwork.' The first one I wasn't supported by my leadership so nothing changed. the second one it was made very clear that I was in charge and hey presto, all conflict gradually eroded. I had to do a lot of listening, establish the vision, clarify expectations and monitoring. Simple but through. I was appreciated and the team turned round.

I guess I'm saying, don't take it all on yourself. Work with your leadership and ask them to support you.

Pomza likes this.