1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by EdmundOrme, Nov 24, 2015.

1. EdmundOrme

EdmundOrme New commenter

I am looking to be promoted from a position as teacher to a position with more pastoral responsibility. Would a Head of House position represent a good promotion in this area? And what TLR should I expect for such a post?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It depends entirely on the structure of the school. Some schools use the House system as their pastoral structure, many more have Heads of Year.

One would, however, normally consider a period of apprenticeship as a Deputy or Assistant first. Assistant Head of Year, for example, for two years, before taking responsibility as a Head of Year. I assume that you already have a few years' experience as a Form Tutor under your belt? The chalkface of pastoral!

As for the TLR - your guess is as good as mine here! Each school will have its own staffing structure with its defined TLR. You could perhaps get a vague idea by leafing through the Jobs section of the TES.

Best wishes