1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sian0720, Aug 8, 2011.

1. How long had you been teaching for when you went for/got your first promotion, and what was it in?
    Trying to weigh up options for year ahead! [​IMG]

2. How long had you been teaching for when you went for/got your first promotion, and what was it in?
    Trying to weigh up options for year ahead! [​IMG]

3. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

10 years in and it hasn't happened yet.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Anybody else's experience is irrelevant - if you feel you are ready for a promotion, then go for it. If you aren't then don't.

5. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Three years and I got a KS3 coordinator role, then a year and a half later I got 2nd in department. Then after another year and a half I got a post as HOD, which I will start this autumn but there's a funny story behind that! x

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

2 years and I got senior teacher in a tiny 3 class primary. Fantastic experience. Knackering though - Senco, key stage co ordinator, assessment co ordinator, subject co ordinator for 5 subjects, 4 year groups in 1 class, full
    time teaching commitment and deputising in head's absence. If you're primary and you want to
    get a huge range of experience quickly, small schools are fantastic. I don't recommend it for long though. I stayed 2 years and a term (including one as ah) and moved on. It would've killed me!

7. Thanks. I'm secondary. I don't know if I want promotion but I do want to move on from my school, but get questioned at interview as to why I'm not going for a promotion! Then the post goes to an NQT!

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Broadening your experience in a different school
    at the same level is a perfectly legitimate reason to move on. Only go for promotion if you want it.

9. Thanks. It has been queried when I've gone for interview you see.

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

If you're getting interviews I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you cover it in one of your interview answers.
    If you're worried about not getting shortlisted because of it put a brief statement in your covering letter. Something about seeking to broaden your experience in a different setting should cover it.

11. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Just finished my 7th year, during which I was appointed as an AST. I don't really have much desire to move up to SLT, however I was growing increasingly frustrated with being a 'pleb' within my school and having no voice/say in policy and what was going on. As an AST I enjoyed being consulted on policies regarding Teaching and Learning within the school, and enjoyed being part of a project to improve this area of the school, leading in MY way (i.e. including staff in decisions and training, not lecturing and dictating).
    I'm moving on to a new school which is really keen to get ASTs and other staff involved in driving the school forward, which should be great.
    It really is up to you when you feel ready for leadership. Build up a 'portfolio' of bits and bobs that you've done and this will add to your experience and make you a good candidate for promotion.