1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion whilst 6 months pregnant

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by twinkle121, Jul 11, 2016.

1. twinkle121

twinkle121 New commenter

Dear All,

There is a new opening at my school for a Key stage leader, which my head has made very clear to me that he would like to apply for, in fact he strongly suggested i should apply. He said this before he knew I was pregnant.

Anyways - the internal vacancy has just gone out for this Key stage leader position, and I am 6 months pregnant.

Should I bother applying? or not?

I have already spoken to head about this, and he said why not, I should apply (but of course he wouldnt say no now...that would be discrimination!!)

So what would you guys do?

BTW - I have been waiting for an opportunity like this for a few years!!

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Apply.

twinkle121 likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Why not? The worse that could happen is that you don't get it, and then you would have gained some useful experience.

twinkle121 likes this.
  4. twinkle121

twinkle121 New commenter

Thanks.

the only thing stopping me is that do you think it looks silly to apply for a position and then go off on maternity 2/3 months later.

Also my husband was worried about the additional stress it would cause, but to be honest i'm doing a lot of the year lead things anyways.

5. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I don't think it would look silly at all! If your HT has encouraged you, apply. It doesn't guarantee that you will get it, but give it a shot - you never know.

Returning from maternity leave, it will be tricky regardless of your job - it's hard (I went back part-time until my son was 2), but with excellent childcare, it is possible. You will just need to be super organised and use holidays to prepare what you can (I do and it means less long- and meditum term preparation during the year).

Good luck!

twinkle121 likes this.
  6. twinkle121

twinkle121 New commenter

Thank you.

This is the next step in my career...and yes your right, things may change after a baby. I know lotrs of women go back part time etc.
    Could i still hang onto the ks leader position on a part time contract??

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Are there likely to be other applicants who will be able to work full time? Ones who will be equally good in all other aspects of the application?

Full time is best for such a position, but a brilliant part timer is better than a useless full timer. If you are by far and away the best applicant in all other areas, then go for it.

8. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

It would be unlawful to treat you less-favourably because you are pregnant and going on maternity leave. You must not be denied opportuntities for promotion because of it.

If you hope to return part-time look at the rules for making a flexible working request on the ACAS website). Theo Griff created a series of excellent blogs and templates, one of which is about making flexible working requests. These are current pinned in the Professional Advice Hub at the top of the forum. Bear in mind, however, that she no longer oversees these and you should check that legislation has not gone out of date in the interrim.

As a part-time worker, you are also protected from discrimination. You may not be treated less-favourably than a full-time worker. As a basic principle, therefore, you should be able to retain a post of responsibility, unless the school can show a good business reason why this cannot work in their / your particular circumstances.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  9. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

I imagine they would give someone the opportunity to act up until you get back. Not such a big problem. Decent headteachers should see that being supportive to parents reduces churn and increases calibre of teachers coming to the school on account of word of mouth. Teachers who stay for a long time are worth their weight in gold. A short temporary period of disruption is worth it for a long term teacher.

10. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

Go for it, as others have said, you might not get it but you might and the school will manage whilst you're off. If it's the next natural step and you've been encouraged to go for it, then I would absolutely throw my hat in the ring to see what happens