1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion to Head of Drama

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by kategrimshaw1, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hello, I have been teaching Drama in the same school for almost 5 years and have really enjoyed it but have decided recently that it is time to look for a HOD post.
    I have had a few interviews where have been up against exisiting HODs. I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether a school would generally look for an existing HOD or someone to offer the experience to? I am starting to feel a little despondant as not sure how to get the experience needed (if that's what is being looked for) without someone taking the chance on me and giving me the opportunity!
    Any thoughts?

2. Hello, I have been teaching Drama in the same school for almost 5 years and have really enjoyed it but have decided recently that it is time to look for a HOD post.
    I have had a few interviews where have been up against exisiting HODs. I am wondering if anyone could shed some light on whether a school would generally look for an existing HOD or someone to offer the experience to? I am starting to feel a little despondant as not sure how to get the experience needed (if that's what is being looked for) without someone taking the chance on me and giving me the opportunity!
    Any thoughts?

3. Good for you and your development mission and good luck!
    I think it is perfectly possible for an aspiring HoD to gain a position over an existing HoD but it all depends on the candidates in question and what the school is looking for. A school with a strong Creative Arts faculty, or equivalent, may be more able to support a new HoD in a development post. Look at the history of the Drama in the school - if they are looking for a revamp or someone to take over a struggling department, they might need someone with experience to push this through BUT it all depends on what you can offer them.
    Think about what you have done that you can wow them with to show you are capable of more than just teaching your lessons to an excellent standard. Have you put on productions yourself, worked on whole school or cross-curricular projects? Have you started any new initiatives or taken pupils to festivals or external performance events? What difference have you made despite 'only' being a teacher? (To clarify - I am not slating this - I mean what have you done to prove you can go above and beyond what is asked of you!)
    Don't wait for someone to give you the chance - blow them away with the evidence that you make those opportunities happen for yourself. A good HoD will always need to show initiative.

Good luck!