1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion opportunity or not?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by chopsuey25, Mar 22, 2016.

1. chopsuey25

chopsuey25 New commenter

Hello

I need some objective advice but at the moment I am feeling very emotional and angry about a situation and i just can’t think straight.
    My HOD is leaving. I am 2nd in department and expected to step into her role as I have many years of experience of teaching in my school. HOD handed letter in last Monday.
    After this Head teacher interviewed a candidate in my subject for another school who was very experienced and performed very well but did not get the job applied for.
    This Monday my head teacher told me the appointment would be advertised externally. The reason is because of poor results for the last two years. However, I have only taught one of those years and only for 6 months after returning from Mat leave. Prior to this my results were very good-above the national average. Therefore I feel as though I am being punished for the underperformance of my HOD.
    I also feel as though I am being made to apply for a job that should be mine but is not because Headteacher wants to employ recently observed candidate instead but needs to be seen to be acting fairly so is asking me to go through the whole process.
    This school has a history of appointing internally and has made many appointments this way without all the fuss of an external advert which makes this situation all the more unfair in my eyes.
    I have already spoken to the Headteacher to explain the data and asked them to appoint me as acting HOD for a period but they are set on a whole external process.
    There is another lesser role going and no other candidates in the school wants it. I have experience in that subject and I suspect Head teacher would have a problem solved if I took on that role instead.
    I feel like not applying for my HOD job because I don’t think I will get the job and frankly will feel great embarrassment in front of my peers for failing to attain such a role after many year of teaching.
    To top it all off I was meant to meet with my head teacher after school today and booked a slot in the diary only to find when I attended their office that they had already left for the day!

How should I best handle this situation?
    Thanks in anticipation

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm afraid you've no right to the job.

3. davidmu

davidmu Occasional commenter

You may or may not be the best candidate. The HT can see who else is available as in any job in any field. Just apply and see what happens. That 1st class honours candidate with a DPhil from Oxbridge and 10 years experience at Eton may just apply but equally may not.

wanet likes this.
  4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes I can understand that you feel upset, and even angry,about this.

But the truth, the unhappy truth for you, is that actually it is not your job, and you have given yourself false hope by expecting to get it. :( It is because you have had these false expectations that you are now so distressed.

And I can also understand your reluctance to apply for it, because you might feel humiliated in front of your colleagues if you don't get it. This is the case always when there is an internal candidate - they feel it so much more when they are unsuccessful.

So how should you best handle this situation? By determining to do your very best in applying. You may get it, you may not, but at least you will feel confident that you did your very best.

So come over to Jobseekers and ask me where to access the application advice articles, so that your application will showcase all that you have to offer the school.

Best wishes

sabrinakat likes this.
  5. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Listen, you are still very raw at the moment, and that is understandable. You make several assumptions here, which could, or could ultimately not be true:

1) That this candidate has changed the HTs mind on the plan.
    2) They are guaranteed to get the job.
    3) most importantly really- This is, and always has been, your job if the current post holder left in the eyes of the HT.

You have to focus on the facts. I don't think that the HT has done anything unfair here. They are totally within their rights to advertise. I am afraid that the fact that other jobs have gone internally is not really relevant, and can't be used really to suggest anything is unfair.

I would apply. If you are as good a candidate as you say you are (a genuine point btw, not a dig) then you stand a good chance. If not, there are other schools out there. This isn't the first time this situation has occurred and won't be the last. Think outside of one school! This isn't your one chance at a job.

sabrinakat likes this.
  6. chopsuey25

chopsuey25 New commenter

Thank you for all your advice. I can understand your viewpoints and deep down know that you are right. It's not my job yet and I will just have to give it my best shot and see how I get on.

7. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Good luck.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's the way to go forward. Have you found the applications advice?

Best wishes

9. internationalschools

internationalschools New commenter

Sometimes schools want fresh ideas and new blood. HOWEVER, you sound like a good candidate, and you'll be the fresh blood for another school. I have experienced this - I was turned down for a HOY job in my current school, where I am Assistant Head of Year. They went for an external. However, I've now been appointed as a HOY in a different school, where I'm the one who has beaten the internals. Never think its in the bag, but be prepared to move onwards and upwards - if they don't want you, someone else will!!!

Middlemarch and wanet like this.