1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion opertunity?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by heidi_silver, Jan 13, 2012.

1. heidi_silver

heidi_silver New commenter

Hi there. I work at an infant school with junior on same campus (different head). Have been teaching for 2 yrs in reception and currently in my 3rd year in year 2. I work EXTREMELY hard in the hope for a promotion and in august my head said 'this time next year you should be looking for a promotion (nothing currently available in our school). Am happy with that. Feel Ive had an amazing platform
    Since being accepted as an NQT and God knows the finical incentive as well as the career aspect intop would be perfect for me to aim for.

Today I got offered a years transfer to the matching junior school (which I showed interest in last year for
    Experience). I have been asked to try and make a decision by Monday and during an informal chat with my head I understand it is great for my cv. However I had my hopes up for a promotion this year...! I do have high expectations, my results are great and I am viewed as an outstanding teacher. Has she forgotten our chat in august in my performace management meeting when she said I should seek promotion at another school (as nothing at our school at time)? Should I decline transfer in the home that if my current year group leader doesn't come back that I can take over the Position? (currently off on long teem
    Sickness). If this was an option, wod it not have been mentioned to me today? I have seen 2 LAZY members of staff gain a promotion when I work 7-6 without
    A lunch break working my ass off in the hope to be noticed. I know I am. But now, without the promotion, it isn't enough! The year transfer would mean a year in ks2. Is that something good on my cv? 2 years in EYFS x1 in KS1
    and x1 In KS2 or am I better to gain an
    Extra year in infant education? Maybe I just need to speak up :(

2. heidi_silver

heidi_silver New commenter

Hi there. I work at an infant school with junior on same campus (different head). Have been teaching for 2 yrs in reception and currently in my 3rd year in year 2. I work EXTREMELY hard in the hope for a promotion and in august my head said 'this time next year you should be looking for a promotion (nothing currently available in our school). Am happy with that. Feel Ive had an amazing platform
    Since being accepted as an NQT and God knows the finical incentive as well as the career aspect intop would be perfect for me to aim for.

Today I got offered a years transfer to the matching junior school (which I showed interest in last year for
    Experience). I have been asked to try and make a decision by Monday and during an informal chat with my head I understand it is great for my cv. However I had my hopes up for a promotion this year...! I do have high expectations, my results are great and I am viewed as an outstanding teacher. Has she forgotten our chat in august in my performace management meeting when she said I should seek promotion at another school (as nothing at our school at time)? Should I decline transfer in the home that if my current year group leader doesn't come back that I can take over the Position? (currently off on long teem
    Sickness). If this was an option, wod it not have been mentioned to me today? I have seen 2 LAZY members of staff gain a promotion when I work 7-6 without
    A lunch break working my ass off in the hope to be noticed. I know I am. But now, without the promotion, it isn't enough! The year transfer would mean a year in ks2. Is that something good on my cv? 2 years in EYFS x1 in KS1
    and x1 In KS2 or am I better to gain an
    Extra year in infant education? Maybe I just need to speak up :(

3. This particular phrase makes me wish to remind you that it is not about how long you work, rather how smartly you work....
    Besides, what makes you think that your working for a couple of years is necessarily comparable to the skills that your colleagues have and what they can offer?!
    Rather churlish statement IMO....
    That said.....
    Depending on the path you wish to take in the future, I personally would say that a year in a lower KS2 could only add to your growing experience and eventually skills set...
    And tbh, thismay be a tactful way of your HT having picked up that perhaps you are not as ready for promotion, maturity wise,(taking into account your statement above) and this KS2 opprtunity would help you grow further and a more suitable candidate for promotion.

4. Hi. I've been teaching for many years and taken the opportunity to work in all stages, transfer schools to seek more opportunities and have continued to gain formal and practical depth and breadth of knowledge and understanding of teaching and learning skills. I used to feel frustrated that I didn't get the promotion posts I was going for and then understood there was a good reason for that. I have taken considerable time to build up a more critical approach to teaching and learning strategies which you of course will know is invaluable to progress effectively. I would also suggest that you view your career as a collaborative journey whereby you seek out the help and advice of colleagues and try not to be too judgemental - in my experience you can often come a cropper with that one. Lastly if you had built up a strong professional relationship with your HT you should be discussing this - framed appropriately - with them surely. Best of luck but do take the comments of others on board - they make good sense.