1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promotion in your workplace i think NOT!!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by waynejones, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Working in your current capacity and completing all performance management objectives and occasionally making the right noises in all the right directions.Is that enough ?

2. Absolutely!
    To make it to SMT/HOD here you have to show not that you are only willing and able but that you are able to lead by example. I would never penalise someone for doing their own job according to the requirements of that role, but I wouldn't consider anyone who does not understand why committment is needed from leaders for promotion!
    As HT I get all the glory jobs like cleaning blocked drains, being shouted at by unreasonable people etc. I also know that I have to turn up to every event, trip etc. I realise that I get paid in compensation partly for this but that is not why I do it. I would not ask my staff to do anything I was not prepared to do myself.
    Making all the right noises in the right directions does sound overtly cynical. Making performance management objectives is only an indicator that you are capable of your present role. That's what you should be doing and no more. I know that sounds harsh but it is the truth. Also I have to say I have never promoted anyone who has asked for it. This is not on principle, if the right person asked for it I would promote them in a jiffy. In general I am the first person to know about a role and I promote according to ability and I have generally got a very good idea who would be best long before they need to ask me for a promotion. For something that would require an advertisement the process is altogether more formal.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am wondering if we have a Troll in our midst. Or even somebody who has taken over another's identity to post.
    In an idle moment (surely this low level of literacy cannot be someone hoping for promotion to SLT?), I googled Wayne Jones AST. Found this on the The National College for Leadership of Schools and Children's Services:
    Wayne Jones
    Current role: Director of High Quality Teaching and Learning
    School: The South Wolverhampton and Bilston Academy, West Midlands
    School phase/type: Academy
    Wayne Jones took part in the National College's EAP programme in 2008. He is now director of
    high quality teaching and learning at The South Wolverhampton and Bilston Academy in the
    West Midlands, having been recently promoted from Advanced Skills Teacher (AST) to the
    leadership team.

"I hadn't been on a leadership course since 2003 when I was head of science and I was looking
    for something that would help me progress into leadership," he says. "Other courses I viewed I didn't think were as good. In particular, as a black person I wanted to see another perspective on leadership from people who had an ethnic minority background and we heard from black leaders about some of the challenges they had faced in order to get where they are right now. But I also wanted to share my ideas and experiences with colleagues too."

As part of the leadership team, he now has a bigger platform on which to share and debate ideas and across the school. He is seizing the opportunity to promote his own way of teaching as a model across the school and local authority, something else he would have been less inclined to pursue before doing the programme.
    "My way of teaching is facilitation rather than didactic and that's something I am encouraging others to do," he says. "Now I do have the self-belief to put myself out there and be the person who is enabling others to move forward."
    His greater confidence is something others have also noted.
    "During the interview for my new post, the principal remarked on how much other people had said there was a different element to me now in that when I speak other people listen and that's definitely something that has come about since EAP."
    Wayne is now on the National College's Leadership Pathways programme and plans to apply for a deputy headship in a couple of years' time, followed by NPQH.
    "Before, I didn't think I was capable, it was something I didn't think was within my reach," he says. "Now I definitely believe I could go for headship."
    Now call me paranoid, but this profile above doesn't fit with the posts that we have seen here on this forum . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think you could be right.