1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

promotion for less money?

Discussion in 'Senior Leadership Team' started by anon2799, Apr 9, 2011.

1. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's fairly common to make an upward move for the same or less money. When I was deputy of a large primary I earned much more than small school heads.

The protocol is you apply for the job on the wage offered. It won't be able to be offered on mainscale or ups as it is a leadership role. Think of it as short term pain for long term gain. I can't think of many people I know who haven't been in this position at some point in their career.

2. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Same dilema seen Associate Head job in school locally which will be same pay as current DHT post in sept but school in SM...

Can you not ask governors to consider pay based on the significant responsibilities that come with a role like this?

Tempting, good experience I guess but will be alot of hard work...

3. chipsfortea

chipsfortea New commenter

When offered post (head of faculty to assistant head) I accepted and asked for salary to be matched, it was and I haven't looked back. Not sure whether this would work in current climate but if the school wants you enough...

4. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I know of a very well regarded and successful head who was offered another headship. Although it was a larger school it would've meant a pay cut. He asked for his salary to be matched ( he thought that with his reputation and experience and with the current recruitment crisis it was a no brainer). They refused. He didn't take the post and the school re advertised. I suppose it depends on a number of factors- how much you're prepared to risk losing the job you want by asking, how badly they want you and how much cash they have to spare!

5. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I applied for a DH post that was below my current salary recently. At interview I was told the ISR range had been upgraded - which meant I would get a salary match. I was really happy with this. Although I would have asked to start a point higher if possible, I still would have taken the job at the advertised rate, as I needed the move for career development. As it was, the forward thinking governors had already realised the predicament - which only reinforced my belief that this was a very professional organisation.
    PS I got the job!