1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promoting the School?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by adjemal, Oct 3, 2016.

1. adjemal

adjemal New commenter

Dear colleagues,

I'm interested in getting involved with actively promoting my school to increase student numbers in year 7.

Does anyone have any effective strategies or ideas to share please? We have a school website but don't use any form of social media to advertise the school as the principal isn't keen.

Any other ideas would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

2. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Facebook is a firm favourite if the school is in control of what gets uploaded. We only use it for good news about the children's achievements. I'm afraid the principal might not be keen but it seems huge amounts of parents use it, as do the children.

Have you tried building the links with primaries and teachers going in and teaching? I had special pencils made with the name of our school so the children could remember where that lovely lady came from!

It's a long slog and the most positive things seem to be a Good Osted and how the school is perceived in the local community. If it's got a good reputation they'll flock, if it doesn't ...

phlogiston likes this.
  3. adjemal

adjemal New commenter

Thank you so much for the reply. I really like the teaching in a primary school idea with pencils. I'm going to try and push the Facebook idea but not sure she'll go for it...

Thanks again.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Primary liaison - going both ways and start it early (e.g. year 3 - parents have already made their minds up by the time the kids are in Y5). Some secondary teachers I've known have been surprised by what they do in primaries don't duplicate it.
    Get the children in to do practical stuff in technology and science.

5. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

Completely agree about practicals. I was in charge of primary liaison for a couple of years and I changed our transition days for science and bunsen burners (think I may have upset the head of PE, but hey ho!). They loved it and went away very exciting, but transition days are too late.

I agree you need to get them in early and build on it. We had an open day last autumn and parents were brining year 4s, we have another one soon and I think that'll be the same.

Positive relations with primaries really do help.

6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

A very long time ago our Head created and funded a mini marketing team in a response to open enrolment. We used to lose the more 'academic ' children to a neighbouring authority. I was the Primary Liaison Co ordinator. We had display boards in their schools, a comprehensive transition programme,our staff released to deliver their subjects in the Associate schools, children invited to our school Performance Arts shows, Primary Heads invited to lunch on our campus ( made by the Catering group ), workshops on our school ( agree that Science and CDT went down well especially as the latter involved a session where the children could take home something they had made ) . Loads of other projects am sure but it was quite a while back . Yes they need to think that as your school bring the ' natural ' choice . Reminder too that all your hard work can be negated by an ill timed comment / one poor experience / unsuccessful project .... you need to select staff carefully and run with military precision - ha ! Good Luck.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

If your HT won't allow the use of (carefully managed) social media, then you are on to a loser...so I hope your PM doesn't rely on it.

TBH your HT is a bit like this:

[​IMG]

8. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Twitter and Instagram would be the most appropriate social networks for you to use. Post content about events happening in school without breaching the child protection and safeguarding policy, keep access to the accounts restricted to certain members of staff.
    You need to sell the idea to your HT and SLT, get their permission to set up such accounts on a trial basis and see where you go from there.

Can I ask a question though, I assume the intake numbers for Year 7 are low. Have they dropped over the years? If so, why is this? Is it poor OFSTED inspection?