1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promoting Science to Demotivated Students

Discussion in 'Science' started by aarbiter, Feb 22, 2018.

1. aarbiter

aarbiter New commenter

Several of our year 11s have reported that because they "don't need science" they have given up trying to acheive. How do you overcome this sense of uninterest/ lack of motivation esp. with exams around the corner? Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Do they know what opportunities have some science qualification opens up to them either through new opportunities or the ability to progress further? The diversity of opportunities in engineering for example from working with formula one cars' engines to designing the latest iPhone or 3D printing artificial parts for humans (or other animals).

3. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Lead commenter

With Y11s, I've given up trying to promote science by pointing out the opportunities and importance of it as a subject or qualification. By this age, they already know it's useful to have a qualification in science and in my experience, the comments of "I don't need it" usually stem from their insecurity - they don't think they are capable of passing so they'll pretend that they don't want to pass anyway. Obviously there will be the odd student or two that have been complaining "why do we have to do science?" since Y7 but the vast majority of these attitudes rear themselves around the time of Y11 mocks, bit of a coincidence, no?

If my Y11s are saying they don't need science / don't need to learn this, my response is to say "fair enough, but you can learn/do this so why not? You're here anyway so why not make the most of it?" How you deal with it will be down to your own relationships with your students, but my point is that they're often deflecting attention away from what the real issue is.

oceanroc7 likes this.