1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promoting curiosity Y1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by SAAAMI, Sep 25, 2016.

1. SAAAMI

SAAAMI New commenter

I teach Y1 and at the moment we have a continuous provision set up, which the children can access when they are not doing more 'formal' learning with an adult. I really want to promote curiosity and problem solving which they can access independently and am feeling very uninspired. The best I can come up with is solving problems to do with construction, e.g. build the toy alien a rocket that is big enough for him and is able to float on water as well as fly. I can think of some other problem solving things but they are a bit boring, e.g. sorting. I really want the learning to be irresistible!

Please let me know your ideas,
    thank you so much!
    Samantha

2. migratingbird

migratingbird Occasional commenter

More of a creative than curiosity art idea - 'unfinished' picture - stick to googly eyes on a paper, children draw who they belong to. Or stick an animal part (eg horses legs, dogs head, sharks tail) and they finish the animal however they like.

'Mystery bag' - have a bag on a table with a selection of things in it (eg a magnifying glass, a notebook and pen, a torch). Children create the person who lost the bag - can draw/write/role play etc. I would link it to the current topic.

There's a great maths book called 'Creative Problem Solving', which I got off Amazon. Some of these activities could easily be independent - eg teddy and a few items of clothing, how many different outfits can you produce for teddy?

Describe an object to an alien (works well done recorded on ipads using, eg doodlecast pro) - children take a photo of the object and have to explain how it works.

I agree that the best ones are all construction-y though!

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Sometimes the best thing is to just put out a heap of construction resources and say they can do anything they wish, but they must be able to show the class and tell everyone about it at the end. For the less creative, you could have a group discussion of possibilities first.

By resources I mean bits of cardboard boxes, fabric, scraps of coloured paper and so on.