1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promoting Creativity

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Zambora, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Zambora

Zambora New commenter

Hi,

I am a student currently enrolled on an education course and will hopefully be starting a Primary PGCE or School Direct course in the near future. As an interview task we have been given some points on which to discuss as a group.

One point is the ways that creativity can be promoted in primary and early years settings. As part of my research for this, I have decided to actually ask some teachers about their experience on this so any ideas put across on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Be very careful that what is planned involves pupils bring creative.

I see so many teachers with lovely creative displays and fabulously creative worksheets, but the children are actually just sat answering questions from a worksheet. They are not being creative at all.

Zambora and thinky like this.
  3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Music opens many opportunities for creativity - one branch of Music is composing. With a structure and well-chosen instruments, the children, in groups of about four, put together a piece. The 'structure' could be a picture (e.g. a storm - so tell the story in sound of a pleasant day becoming overcast, rain, thunder, lightning - then passing by and the sun comes out; use metallophone, rainmaker, drum, hanging cymbal). Or it could be a story - you provide a short script with characters in bold type; each character needs a theme; any other words in bold type need a sound effect - a knock on the door, footsteps, going upstairs etc. It could be a fairytale like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Divide the story between the groups if it's too long.
    It's important that the children are in control, making the decisions, working together to create a piece which they can perform to the rest of the class. They can come up with some really super and effective ideas!

Zambora and sparklepig2002 like this.
  4. thinky

thinky Occasional commenter

I remember somebody saying that children begin their school lives as creatives... and that school then strips it away from them year on year. They saw their challenge as how to limit that process.

That was a few years ago and it's clearly even more difficult now.

Things that stifle creativity include "no", "I've seen that before" and "it'll never work". Also worth considering what being creative means beyond the arts (and whether the arts are always creative).

Good luck

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree. I think that creativity often stems from the children but they are shoe horned into a narrow curriculum and high stakes testing . Staff plan for coverage rather than planning for learning because they are accountable in terms of 'data' and ' progress '

Zambora and thinky like this.
  6. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

So are you going to pass these ideas off as your own? Don't be surprised if the other participants also bring these ideas as they may be reading this thread too.

To me, being creative just means making links and masking the T&L so that the children don't realise they are doing something else. Example: actually cooking something to practice measuring/converting rather than just putting weights on scales.

7. blowswind

blowswind Occasional commenter

That isn't creative.

Neither is that.

8. Landofla

@blowswind your opinions entirely. Your responses weren't creative either. That is my opinion.

9. blowswind

Following a recipe = not creative.
    Making up a recipe = creative.

That is my opinion. Not entirely.

10. Landofla

@blowswind I didn't say the kids were following or making up a recipe... I said cooking.

I really hate posters who just pick up on the smallest of insignificancies and run away with it. The is off topic now and you're not actually posting anything worthwhile.

11. blowswind

You posted a sneery comment to the OP. You gave a poor example of your notion of encouraging creativity.

I really hate posters that dish it out but can't handle receiving.

Your example might be considered a creative method of teaching a skill but as an approach to promoting creativity by children, it's lacking.

Very much on topic.

12. Landofla

@blowswind I didn't post a sneery comment to the OP. OP never mentioned promoting creativity by children... OP doesn't ask about encouraging creativity either. Sounds like you definitely have a bee in your bonnet. I gave a simple example to provide some context for my opinion. I wasn't claiming to have written the creativity bible... In fact, the best way to promote creativity is by getting staff members on board with whatever the sch's vision for creativity is. End of. Each sch team will see it differently.

13. blowswind

I must concede you have a very creative approach to interpreting the original question.

I trust you are as forgiving with your students.

"Sir, I have chosen to write about eggs in response to your maths question".

"Splendid work. Very creative. I hope they were chocolate dodo eggs?"

14. Landofla

15. blowswind

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Oh!
    I do so like it when other people get all sulky and childish.
    Far too often it's me.

Zambora and mrajlong like this.
  17. Zambora

Zambora New commenter

Thank you for your reply, I will bear this in mind and put your ideas across.

18. Zambora

Zambora New commenter

Thank you for a very thought out response. I agree with you entirely in the music front. All too often music seems to be pushed to one side and involves very little planning so it's nice to see someone who thinks it out creatively.

ViolaClef likes this.
  19. Zambora

Zambora New commenter

Thank you for your reply and the good luck. Creativity does seem to be getting more and more difficult to promote, I will take all of your ideas on board.

20. Zambora

Zambora New commenter

Thank you, I quite agree with what you have said and teachers should be allowed to hone in on children's creative abilities more than they can perhaps do now.