1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'Promising' knife attacker denied appeal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I expect that some readers will recall the case of Lavinia Woodward, the living embodiment of the halo effect. Many of you will join me in expressing satisfaction that she has recently been denied the right to appeal her ten month prison sentence bizarrely suspended for eighteen months:

Student who stabbed boyfriend loses appeal against sentence

[​IMG]
    TheGuardian.com, 8th June 2018.

Miss Woodward was originally sentenced by judge Ian Pringle, a man who many feel did her QC's advocacy for her, even praising Woodward for breaking her bail conditions to contact her victim Mr. Thomas Fairclough. This time, however, the court was kept on an even keel by appeal judge Johannah Cutts, a woman capable of seeing through the glare of Miss Woodward's 'promise'.

It is to be hoped that in time Miss Woodward comes to feel remorse for her violent crime which could have led to the death of someone who trusted her.

needabreak and nomad like this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Domestic abuse is a vile crime and should be punished as such... irrespective of the gender or ''promise'' of the abuser.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  3. Vince_Ulam

When we contrast this suspended ten month custodial sentence for a life-threatening attack upon a man with the proposed two year custodial sentence for 'upskirting' so we can see that there is an imbalance in how the British legislature & judiciary regard the potential & actual criminality of each sex.

artboyusa likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As I understand it the 2 year sentence for 'upskirting' is a maximum. Therefore it is not likely to be the only, or most common, sentence imposed for those convicted of this crime (should/when it becomes a crime)...

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What is the typical length of sentence when a woman stabs a man, such as in the case in question?

6. Vince_Ulam

That it should be a discrete crime at all, that the government is likely to push it through unconsidered, suggests to me that draconian use will be made of it, at least initially, with many who break it being placed on the sex offenders' register.

My position on upskirting is that it is a stupid and offensive thing to do and it should be punished, but a custodial sentence looks like virtue signalling. Chope, meanwhile, should be booted out of Parliament.

7. Vince_Ulam

I do not know. Do you know?

8. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

As I said, a two year maximum doesn't mean (esp. given our overcrowded prisons) that all, or even most, convictions will lead to a custodial sentence.

PS FWIW I'm glad Miss Woodward didn't get her sentence overturned. The original judge's comments were stupid, IMHO.

9. Vince_Ulam

Not necessarily but I would be surprised if it is not the go-to, especially given the pressure the criminal justice system is under to grind out more rapists.

10. Vince_Ulam

After some digging it seems that the average sentence for Miss Woodward's crime under section 20 of the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 has dropped by around ten months of custody since 2004 to 7.5 months in 2017 (although this last figure might include other offences under this Act). I have not been able to find any figures breaking this down by sex but we may be confident that the majority of these criminals are men.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Angry knife wielding young lady with plans to become a heart surgeon has appeal denied by judge Johannah Cutts.

There's a bit of a motif running through this don't you think?

12. Vince_Ulam

Here is the best evidence I can find, so far, that women are treated leniently relative to men for crimes of the same magnitude, Miss Woodward's crime being an indictable offence:

upload_2018-6-16_12-47-20.png

13. Scintillant

The scenarios resulting in the crimes may generally be different regarding men stabbing women and women stabbing men.

14. Vince_Ulam

Irrelevant: The data gives no indication of the sex of the victims, let alone the precise nature of the aggregated crimes.

15. Scintillant

I thought you were referring to men stabbing women vs other way round.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. Scintillant

There seems to be quite a lot of studies on influence of gender on sentencing Vince. Seems to be women may be treated more leniently in general in terms of custodial sentences.

Might be worth you having a look - I'm watching the football!

18. Vince_Ulam

No, I am making the general case.

19. Vince_Ulam

20. Vince_Ulam

The evidence seems to support this.

Why? What is it doing?