1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Promethean IWB

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by rustybug, Jan 27, 2011.

1. I have just got an interview for a new job, and will be teaching an observed lesson next week. The room I will be teaching in has a Promethean board, which I have never seen, much less used, our school has Smartboards (though I haven't used on of those since last summer either because I am in a room now that hasn't got an IWB at all).
    How do they work? Is it like Smartboards, where you can download the software for free and then What You See Is What You Get? Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking I should probably just run it as a projector with a PPT off a memory stick, which would cut down the possibility of interactivity but rather that than overstretch myself on foreign IT and fall flat on my face?

2. I have just got an interview for a new job, and will be teaching an observed lesson next week. The room I will be teaching in has a Promethean board, which I have never seen, much less used, our school has Smartboards (though I haven't used on of those since last summer either because I am in a room now that hasn't got an IWB at all).
    How do they work? Is it like Smartboards, where you can download the software for free and then What You See Is What You Get? Does anyone have any advice? I'm thinking I should probably just run it as a projector with a PPT off a memory stick, which would cut down the possibility of interactivity but rather that than overstretch myself on foreign IT and fall flat on my face?

3. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've changed in the last 2 years from Promethean to Smart. I would say that Promethean are easier to pick up and go with. You can only write on the board with the special pen and you don't have that problem if you forget to put the pen back as you do with Smart.
    You can import Promethean files into Smart so I would guess that it would work the other way if you want to prepare the files in Smart but clearly you would want to test that before the interview.
    I don't like using PPT so I would try to avoid using it in an interview. Interactivity is important surely?
    I'm sure better advice will come along later. Any which way - good luck!

4. Take care even with PowerPoint, make sure you save it in as early a version as you can. Last year we had a candidate turn up with a PowerPoint as a pptx file and there was no way to open it on our system.

Yes, good luck and all the best on the day.

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

With both Promethean and Smart, you can have a "glass sheet" on top of your PPT so you can write on it.

(Personally, I prefer Promethean but version 10 of Smart closes the gap quite a bit. Not struck with Activote though.)

6. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Ouch!
    I would be very wary. The software can't be downloaded without a code (as far as I am aware) and works differently from SMART notebook.
    I would suggest asking pupils to write on the board (shows you get them up to the front), or that you plan a lesson that doesn't involve much IWB usage. You can then explain in the interview that you have never used a Promethean board.
    Or you could ask to go in the day before to familiarise yourself with it.
    Good luck!

7. If you are confident with PPT, of a spec that will work on their system, I would stick with that.
    Could
    you introduce some interactivity by having sticky notes to position on
    different sections of a slide? Just a thought. ... or maybe you could intersperse with some practical activities.

One last thought www.prezi.com
    is an internet based presentation package, and therefore could only be
    used if the internet isn't down, which can so often be the case. It's a
    bit different to PPT, and I think it may be interactive, but I'm not
    sure. You can download from the internet for free and there is a demo on
    how to use. I've registered but not had time for a comprehensive play,
    yet. It would be something different, though!! I believe you can upload
    powerpoint slides to it, but they will lose any animations/functions.
    You could have both to hand if the internet was down!
    Good luck!

8. Just to point out that there is currently more than one version of Activ software, so it also depends on whether the school is running ActivStudio, ActivInspire or ActivPrimary.
    Having said that, powerpoints can be written on using the toolbar in the bottom left of the screen (usually invisible, but appears when you hover)
    You can use a felt-tip pen option to write on the slides, which I do fairly regularly.
    There's also some really nice plug-ins for ppt including something called mouse mischief which is worth a look!
    Good luck with your interview :)

9. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

I would stick with Powerpoint or similar, for safety's sake. In fact, I did just that in an interview before Christmas and got the job: they wanted to see me teach, and there was no point in risking technical problems getting in the way. I think the other candidates did the same.
    (They gave me some training on ActivInspire before I started, but it then took a week or two for them to get the software installed on my laptop. I did several lessons using Word (couldn't work out how to get fractions into Powerpoint easily), then did have some teething troubles as I got going with ActivInspire - I'm glad I didn't have those in my first lessons, let alone the interview.)

10. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Oh - and I second Sara's point - I was very glad I remembered to save my pptx and docx files as ppt and doc as well.

11. I'm in a similar situation. Have to say that smartboard version 10 is the real deal but fortunately you can (with varying degrees of success) import smart notebooks into prometheon. You can download Promethean software here . I went through the same scenario a couple of years ago but my version of the software was newer than the schools so I couldn't open the files during the lesson I was supposed to be teaching. Post the resources for your lesson on TES site in case of memory stick issues - then everyone gets the benefit and you can talk about how you contribute in interview.
    Good luck

12. Phew, thanks for the advice - the mentioning of different Promethean systems and then newer and older versions not loading makes me feel very wary!
    I have tried to download the software but it seems not to have done it properly. Might try just using it as a whiteboard and getting the students up to write a bit, or even just say in the interview that I would normally use an IWB interactively but not letting ICT problems derail the lesson and waste the students' time is a priority, which I do genuinely believe! In a lesson if I am having ICT trouble I give it 5 mins to get sorted out, and abandon it and go to low-tech if it's not resolved after 5 mins.
    Eeek. Thanks for everyone's good wishes!

13. Ppt works well on Promethean. I did this for my interview too. There may well be a tradional white board alongside the promethean - there is in our school. So you could use slides in the Promethean and intersperse with using the non tech variety. Good Luck with the interview

14. Don't forget to take your presentation in two forms or try emailing it to yourself so that you have an online backup. Memory sticks can fail or be unreadable by different systems so having a copy of your presentation emailed to an online email account will be a very useful backup.

I hope that doesn't sound unnecessarily gloomy but we had OFSTED this week and I had to deal with a friend who had all her lessons on a memory stick that failed.

I think you are very wise to play it safe on the ICT front and you are right, wasting students' time with ICT problems is the right tack to take. Again, the very best of luck!