1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prom Dress!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ResourceFinder, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Bloomin' 'eck

The teen and her friends discussed a limo but decided it would cost too much so her Dad will be taking her ... then collecting her whenever

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Ours seem to have a "cheap option" competition.

One arrived in a tractor... another in the bucket of a digger... about 20 arrived in a VW camper van... and so on.

We also have a coach from school and back again for free if they want it.

3. Wasn't there a thread some years ago about tiny tots graduating from reception or nursery complete with limos etc .Ye Gods!!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

My eldest dyed her hair bright red for her prom then snogged another girl in full view of the assembled throng during one of the party games. Apparently the Deputy Head's face was a picture. I was teaching at the school at the time, just to add spice to the mix ;-)
    I always think the smartest looking girls at a prom are those who dress well in conventional but stylish clothes, and not the fake tan brigade who've spent the previous three days and a lot of daddy's money trying to look like a Barbie Fairytale Princess. I also think that as a whole the lads generally do a better job of looking smart at proms than the girls, some of whom turn up in the most outlandish garbs.

5. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

My daughter's school did the whole 'Prom' thing at the end of Year 11. I remember traipsing up and down Oxford street while she tried on lots of dresses, then went back and bought the first one!
    When her group reached Year 13, they decided on a much more informal type 'do'.
    Maybe they'd grown out of the limo phase.

6. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I wonder that about the Year 11s who did the whole limo/expensive dress thing in Year 6.
    I remember being excited about my Year 11 Leavers' Ball because it was the first time I'd ever had to dress up for such a formal occasion. Would it be the same if they'd already experienced the 'prom' style event when leaving primary school?

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

This Prom King and Queen story from America last June made me laugh out loud. I could imagine all the Barbie lookalikes going wailing to Mom as the result of the voting was announced ;-)

8. A friend of mine reckons that there's an element of self-selection goes on at these proms. She says that at her school, there is inevitably at least one, usually more, of those you'd rather didn't attend, rolls out of the stretch limo drunk, and promptly gets sent home after vomiting, often before making it inside the venue.