1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Prolapse

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by xena-warrior, Jan 12, 2012.

1. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Has anyone had a uterine prolapse? I 'm of a certain age and have felt for some time as though I have forgotten to remove a tampon. I can't completely empty my bladder without changing position several times, and I get a strange though not painful bumping feeling during sex. I had a poke around and I can feel something like a peeled lychee that wasn't there before. I've read it all up and am pretty sure it's a prolapse but i can't get an appointment for another 16 days so am wondering if anyone here has had one?

2. can you not get in to see your GP or practice nurse sooner than that? They would be able to have a look and then refer onwards. I don't have any personal knowledge but it sounds as though you could be right about the prolapse.

3. Do a Google image search, and then get a mirror. A uterine prolapse will be at many stages. It could be a cystocele, do a search for that too!
    Be prepared for some unpleasant images. [​IMG]

4. xena-warrior

Thanks for replying. I could only get an appointment with a woman doctor in 16 days. I could have had a youngish man or a middle-aged man whose English is so heavily accented I can hardly make out what he's saying, much sooner. I chose to wait!
    I had a try with the mirror but it's dark up there and I couldn't get the torch to stay in the right position. It makes me feel a bit sqeamish to even think about it so I'll give google images a miss but thanks anyway!

5. [​IMG]

6. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

My mum had prolapse problems in the past and went on to have surgery to correct it. What I do remember is that she had to do pelvic floor exercises to help before surgery and in some mild cases these exercises can help symptoms without the need for surgery so it might be worth you starting to do some pelvic floor strengthening?
    Hope you get sorted soon x

7. xena-warrior

From what I've read, that is exactly what they'll say. I did have substantial tearing with a large baby but that was 25 years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble till now. I did all the exercises conscientiously at the time so think this is maybe connected with the menopause. I'll be telling her that I've been doing the exercises for months but it hasn't helped.

8. Coolgiraffe

I remember mum telling me she had to do the pelvic floor exercises until she reached a certain strength level on an indicator that is inserted into erm 'down there'. They could tell how much she'd been practising!!!

9. I'm afraid no amount of pelvic floor exercises will get a prolpsed womb back in place. (The 'peeled lychee' is your cervix, having dropped into your vagina it can be felt more easily) [​IMG]

10. Coolgiraffe

I agree Gigggirl but she still had to do the exercises to make the muscle tissue at it's best for the operation to be successful x

11. Yes, absolutely. As with any operation getting 'fit' before is always a huge bonus.

12. xena-warrior

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at these answers!

13. xena-warrior

Just to follow up: I had the appointment tonight and what I could feel is not a prolapse, although the cervix has dropped a bit, in line with what you'd expect at my age (sigh), but caused by "something" pressing in from my rectum.
    So it's the camera up the bottom for me.

14. Rectocele? Get that mirror out and a Google image search [​IMG] Sorry!

15. xena-warrior

And the prize goes to..... giggirl!!!
    Rectocele it is! It isn't causing any other problems so I can just ignore it unless and until it does. I had a difficult labour with one of my children and this is the usual cause. I would have posted sooner but I forgot my password!