1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Projects for development

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by chris_elevate, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Hi guys,
    Thanks for your good suggestions and ideas! You're both exactly right... I'm looking for something to enjoy, learn and develop my skills whilst not upsetting or treading on any toes!
    Our "Learning Leader" carries pastoral responsibilities within our structure and our "Learning Director" carries achievement and academic results.
    I get on really well with the "Learning Leader" and when I mentioned the idea to her last week she said....
    I can immediately think of a couple of things:
    1. Our current year 10's going into year 11 in our community (cohort of 250 students). We'll have a dozen leaders (prefect for want of a better word) headed up by a head boy and head girl. This process is being carried out at the moment, perhaps you could lead them throughout the year?
    2. We have a small area of land outside the school that I'd like our year 7's to develop and make their own. Plant bulbs and generally make look nice!
    As previously mentioned, I'd like the task I take on to have a time limit and have something I can monitor the success of. Both task sound like something I could do and be successful in. What do you think?
    Thanks for your help and advice.

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Suggestion 1 (leading small team of prefects) - and do what with them? You need to identify what the outcomes you'd want to see are and show milestones to success. Moreover, only 12 prefects out of a cohort of 250? We've had superb success in my school by massively expanding the number of prefects (starting them in Y10), by making it a really desirable thing to be, with extremely high 'entry' criteria. Why not take on the task of developing prefecture in your school and thereby encouraging leadership, responsibility, better behaviour, etcamongst larger numbers of students? PM me if you'd like a bit more information on what we did and how.
    Suggestion 2 (Y7 garden) - not a very good idea from your colleague, IMO. I really can't see how supevising a group of Y7s in developing a bit of a garden might give you the type of leadership experience you're after to support career development.

3. leadlearner

leadlearner New commenter

Agree with Middlemarch you will get much more mileage out of task 1 - there is some good advice on this and it could show a real impact.