1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Projectors- which to buy

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Miss_N, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Hi All,

I'm currently looking to buy 2 new projectors for my school for our new build in September. However, I'm hitting a wall.

I currently use a very expensive short throw projector and find it worse than useless- the picture is bad, and lopsided, I can't use all of the board because I am right handed, the projection wastes about a foot on each side of my board, and I have issues with the general workings of the pen.

I have never experienced issues with long throw projectors having taught in a number of schools using them.

I know short throw are the newer technology, however, I am reluctant to spend over £1000 more per projector given my experiences of short throw.

Is anybody able to offer some advice?

Thanks,

Natalie

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Got to say that I am with you on the short throw front. We had a very expensive interactive one put in my room by a generous county advisor but to be honest I prefer the image thrown by a traditional long throw one too. We have been having a lot of success recently with a lot of refurbishing done by Elementary Technology and they have been installing the Epson EB-X9LU projectors and I rate these a lot

3. Fantastic- thank you. It's great to have another point of view (particularly one in agreement!). MY head is willing to support whichever decision I make being ICT manager, however, my project manager isn't so keen on me buying long throw (probably because he'll lose 2k in sales!)

4. You've got a Project Manager on sales commsion? How does that work? Is the PM a member of an external company?
    I have been pointed to the LED bulbless projectors - which seem perfectly good - I've got a Samsung I think. Can't remember, but it's projection is exactly the same but we will save on money when a bulb goes. (so the saleman says?) obviously on a percentage for bulbless projectors.

5. ...obviously we wont save money when the bulb goes - because it is in fact bulb-less. ??[​IMG]
    we will save money though - because errr the bulb that isn't there will never blow ?

6. Haha!! There's some logic there somewhere!!

We have project manager from an educational IT supplier, which shall remain unnamed, because we are a new school and moving in to another build during/after the summer so we've been through a completely procurement route and before I came on board, said company were selected based on their bid.