1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Projectors vs Interactive Whiteboards vs Interactive Projectors!

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by anisaismail, Jan 23, 2017.

?

Projectors vs Interactive Whiteboards vs Interactive Projectors?

1. Projector and normal whiteboard

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Interactive whiteboard

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Interactive projector

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Tablet computers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. anisaismail

anisaismail New commenter

I've been asked to produce a report giving arguments for and against interactive whiteboards. I'd love to know what you use, are you happy with a projector and whiteboard or do you have an interactive projector? What do you like and dislike about what you use?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We got rid of our interactive whiteboards (Smartborads) as they came to the end of their useful life.

We now have interactive LED screens which give a much better picture and don't need a projector as the plug directly into a laptop or pc.

Ours are 60inch screens which are more than adequate even in large classrooms

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I agree with Jesmond. We've moved forward with LED screens. Definitely the future! Some newer ones have lots of built in functionality without even plugging in the laptop.

4. anisaismail

anisaismail New commenter

Thanks for your feedback. If our school can't afford LED screens what would be the next best option?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Depends upon what you want to do? Without that your qustion is without meaning.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We lease ours so we don't have the problems of obsolete equipment. In three tears time we will get replacement equipment.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have shed far, far more than three tears over my IWB!
    I'd love an interactive screen and have said so multiple times...A sort of giant tablet computer, like at a modern train station near me.
    *sigh...I can dream!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

We bought a school load of giant 'CleverTouch' LEDS, they're awesome. No more projectors!

Tight Budget? Buy them for the teachers you like and get the rest a few pads of flipchart paper...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. ArNolee

ArNolee New commenter

Good evening everyone,
    I am wondering if is it worth it to buy an interactive board or an interactive screen for our school.
    We own some 15 interactive boards, however, quality is poor, low definition and require adjustments.
    Are interactive screens reliable? What is the expected lifespan? Costs? Pros vs Cons?

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

i had an interactive board in my classroom for 3 years and never once turned it on, out of the whole secondary school we had 40 IWB, only 2 ever got used. where as everyone used their projectors and ordinary boards.

this is 20 year old technology that was out of date 10 years ago. i would strongly suggest not getting IWB's.

have you actually asked the staff what they want?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

LED option isn't that expensive. For an appropriate solution for a school you should be looking at around £2250 for a 70" non-interactive screen and around another £1000 on top of that for an interactive one at the same size. Whilst it may be about twice that of just a projector, you'll get through a lot of bulbs over the lifetime so that needs to be factored in. If your school uses tech like Chromebooks or iPads or similar then I'd look at also investing in something like chromecasts to allow students or teachers to project to the screen wirelessly in some areas.

I would also suggest you go around the school and work out which areas would need an interactive board and which wouldn't. Consult the teachers but try to take into account it's not their preference it's what's most useful for how it needs to be used. For example I would suggest that in Computer Science rooms, you don't need the interactive feature, where as in Maths the interactive features such as being able to directly write to the board are more advantageous; especially if you're getting students up to demonstrate things.

I'm happy to share my thoughts on various educational suppliers of these I've come across in my work. Just PM me.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

No blackboard option?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

These are exorbitantly expensive to replace and make 'running costs' far higher.
    Agreed inter-active boards have moved on so much from Smatboards and Promethean boards.

Often in Primary the 'interactive' facility was rendered useless by placing the board too high , out of reach of little people's hands. :( And it does depend on subject how useful they can be.
    Personally I wouldn't be without an 'ordinary whiteboard' either though.

phlogiston likes this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

How time moves on in a year!
    I was only alerted to this thread by someone 'liking' my previous post.

I now have a fab new interactive television and it is amazing!
    It has a gadget thing you fit in the back to be able to add apps as well and it is the BEST THING EVER!

(You can change the screen colour and so write in colours like yellow and orange on black and it looks soooo cool. Demonstrating drawing decorated Christmas trees was soooo much fun. But I am learning not to think of this as the best thing about the board. :rolleyes:)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  15. ArNolee

ArNolee New commenter

Currently our IWB are being used merely as projectors, however as I'm required to buy a new device, I was thinking about other options.

Monitors seem to be effective and durable, however the cost is prohibitive, assuming an affordable projector ranges in the 200/400£ area

16. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter