1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Projecting voice - straining voice

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by SM_BSc, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Hi,

When I had my observation from my university tutor, she said I project my voice well but it seems like I am straining my throat. This is true, because if I spent a lesson where I had to 'shout', the next the day my throat would feel raw.
    Just wondering if there is anyone with tips on how to talk loudly without damaging my throat.

2. You need to project from your diagphram. I'd suggest asking someone in your school/uni drama department- it's best to do it practically rather than theoretically explaining it.

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I have arranged for the Head of Music who is a very experienced Brass player to do a session for our trainees next week. See if there's someone at school who can help - ask your Professional Mentor who you might approach.

4. If nothing else, you will at least be able to give yourself a fanfare at the start of the lesson. (LOL at my own attempted joke)

5. Thanks. I have actually finished my first placement so hoping I can arrange something in my second placement.

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Blimey - he's not THAT good. I'm tone deaf!!

7. I was the same and just... got used to it. I practiced a lot and by the end of the year I felt pretty confident. Also, don't shout too much - I never shout more than once per lesson, except for practical lessons where I literally have to shout to be heard - and even then all I will shout is "STOP!" and wait until they turn it off so I can talk at a normal level.