1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Projectile vomit- worried!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Keep Smiling!, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Keep Smiling!

Keep Smiling! New commenter

Hi, my LO is just over 4 weeks old and for about a week and a half has been projectile vomiting after some of her feeds. She doesn't seem bothered by it and will then have a sleep or have some more milk but it's obviously worrying me. It's like a jet when she's sick and it has been increasing a bit over the past few days. The dr has said to monitor her weight (she is still putting on weight) and then review it but it could be a condition which needs a small operation to fix (he's not convinced it is this though as it's more common in boys but it has started at the time they say it should ie 3 weeks). My OH has said she's probably just a sickly baby but I'm worrying about her. Has anyone else's LO ever vomited like this and it not been anything sinister? Have they grown out of it? Or has anyone's baby had this condition? I'm a natural worrier and so am panicking a bit!

2. Keep Smiling!

Hi, my LO is just over 4 weeks old and for about a week and a half has been projectile vomiting after some of her feeds. She doesn't seem bothered by it and will then have a sleep or have some more milk but it's obviously worrying me. It's like a jet when she's sick and it has been increasing a bit over the past few days. The dr has said to monitor her weight (she is still putting on weight) and then review it but it could be a condition which needs a small operation to fix (he's not convinced it is this though as it's more common in boys but it has started at the time they say it should ie 3 weeks). My OH has said she's probably just a sickly baby but I'm worrying about her. Has anyone else's LO ever vomited like this and it not been anything sinister? Have they grown out of it? Or has anyone's baby had this condition? I'm a natural worrier and so am panicking a bit!

3. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

My nephew had reflux which was a nightmare- washing machine on constantly, feeding constantly as he was always hungry. My LO went through a sicky phase at about 4-7 weeks and we changed her milk from SMA to Cow & Gate which solved the problem, but it wasn't huge amounts anyway. If she needs a clothes change after being sick I would say it might be reflux but I'm not an expert! Look out for signs of dehydration but if she is putting on weight that's the main thing.

4. My LO did a very similar thing at the same age. Basically, she was a greedy guts so would feed and feed until she was sick! I was breastfeeding so she used to cluster feed all evening then throw it all up and be starving again. It was horrible to watch and involved many changes of clothes for us both but I was told that it wasn't truly projectile or a cause for concern unless it hit the opposite side of the room and came out in a straight line!
    Once her stomach had stretched enough to accomodate the vast amounts she wanted to comsume then she was fine. It will pass and it may not be any 'official' problem, just a hungry baby who doesnt know when to stop!

5. Keep Smiling!

Thanks for the quick reply kitten, I thought about changing milk as I use SMA and you're about the 3rd person to say that but I didn't know if changing milk would upset her tummy in itself? Did you find that? Was your LO sick after every feed? I don't want to make it worse!x

6. If she is gaining weight then she is getting enough milk...sometimes it just looks like more than it is. My LO was quite sicky (though not projectile) for the first few months and I used to worry about it loads but my mum told me to spill 2oz on a tray and look at it because a tiny bit of milk can look like a lot and so she may not be losing as much of the feed as you think. Apparently my sister and I were both projectile vommitters and it was just a phase that passed. I wouldn't worry too much as long as your doctor seems happy and she is gaining weight well. I also wouldn't recommend looking up reflux or suchlike on the internet (if you haven't already) as there's some pretty scary stuff about very extreme cases and it is easy to go into worry overload. Sometime a thicker brand of milk can help, Aptamil and Cow and Gate do a 'comfort' milk which is designed to stay down easier, it might upset her tummy initially or cause her to become constipated but she will probably get used to it quite quickly. That being said if things are looking fine it may be best to just stick with what you are using and allow the phase to pass. It is very unlikely to be serious reflux if she seems happy enough as the acute kind is acidic and would therefore cause her discomfort.

7. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

I don't really know if changing the milk upset her tummy further.. it took a couple of weeks for the sickiness to stop and from then onwards she was hardly ever sick. Might be coincidence but my HV recommended the change as SMA can be quite rich for some babies' tummies. Other people I know found this too. Cow & Gate and Aptamil are made in the same factory and are practially identical but C&G is cheaper so we went for that, still on the follow on milk now 7 months later with no problems. Hope you get it sorted x

8. hi keepsmiling, hope LO is ok tonight.

I had something similar happen with my LO when he was tiny and having read the things that may go wrong with your baby I was convinced he had that thing your gp mentioned - pyloric something?
    My OH was working in the states when LO was going through this and I couldn;t get across to him just how much sick there was! I got myself into such a state that I had to call my mum at 11 pm to come stay over as I was so scared! He thre up like this a few times - over me, him, the sofa, the floor, it seemed to be everywhere! It is scary when it happens but hopefully she'll sort herself out - like another poster said, i think it is linked to them being greedy and not having enough room so hopefully she should settle.
    This projectile vomting didn';t last very long with my LO and he was perfectly healthy.

9. scilab

scilab New commenter

Hi - my son had this when he was 2 weeks old, and unfortunately they did eventually diagnose pyloric stenosis, and he did have to have a small operation at 3 weeks, but he was fine once this was done, and is now a strapping almost-12 year old!
    I can't lie - it was traumatic at the time - but the projectile vomiting is pretty grim - I remember he used to vomit so violently it would hit the hood of his pram, and fly out the side if the hood was down. He seemed so poorly as he was just being sick so much. He was hospitalised for a few days before the op, as they had to see whether it was definitely stenosis - apparently you can feel the muscle like a small olive, if you know what you're feeling for! But it takes a few days of not much food going in for it to become palpable. My boy was big at birth - 9lb12, but lost quite a bit of weight because of this, and he did look really thin and scrawny as he just wasn't taking in any nutrition for quite some time.
    But - don't be too alarmed - because the operation is very quick and a total fix for the problem, and since then he hasn't stopped eating - for the last twelve years [​IMG] I'm sure things will have changed since he had it done - it may even be keyhole surgery now, but if not, the scar fades brilliantly. My son is proud of his 'special scar' but it's almost invisible now.
    If you've got any more questions about it do ask, either on here or via pm - I'm more than happy to help if I can. Hopefully your lo is already feeling a lot better and all this is unnecessary!