1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Project on league tables, predicted grades, statistics...

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Pol12345, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Hello All!
    Im currently entering the second half of my PGCE, within which I have to undertake a research project amongst members of my, and other schools. I want to look at the impact, positive or otherwise, of league tables and predictions based on those statistics produced by groups such as as the Fischer Family Trust, as well as wether or not the grades predicted take into account the real development of children, reflect the real work of a school etc ....I thinky ou all know the way Im going!
    I am wondering if anyone here could recommend good books, articles, authors, etc.. to get me into the meat of the subject so that I can issolate exactly where to focus. I am trying to cut down the innevitable reading of ten pointless articles! Any opinions or suggestions for readings, groups to look into or the like would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou

Tom

2. Hello All!
    Im currently entering the second half of my PGCE, within which I have to undertake a research project amongst members of my, and other schools. I want to look at the impact, positive or otherwise, of league tables and predictions based on those statistics produced by groups such as as the Fischer Family Trust, as well as wether or not the grades predicted take into account the real development of children, reflect the real work of a school etc ....I thinky ou all know the way Im going!
    I am wondering if anyone here could recommend good books, articles, authors, etc.. to get me into the meat of the subject so that I can issolate exactly where to focus. I am trying to cut down the innevitable reading of ten pointless articles! Any opinions or suggestions for readings, groups to look into or the like would be greatly appreciated!

Thankyou

Tom

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sorry I can't recommend any books as I deleiberatly avoid anything to do with league tables and targets. There are about half a dozen different target grade systems none of which agree with each other and some that are completly intelligible, even the advisers who use them can't actually explain what they mean or how the figures are arrived at.

4. Thanks for the reply, I understand the sentiment and that is whay I have decided to look into it!

I would really appreciate any good books, authors, places to look, etc.

Thanks