1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the new look TES Community!

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

Project on French culture - art/artists?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by gorgybaby, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Helloooo! I am teaching a group for one lesson every 2 weeks. Their regular teacher has suggested a cultural project for them rather than try to catch up with her to teach them French language. I am fine with this but having done one lesson am really not happy with how it went - I don't like kids going in all directions much anyway but I didn't feel that what I sorted out for them was particularly interesting or enervating. So - I am thinking maybe a project on a French artist. I have got some ideas - I thought I could take a famous painting and do some simple research on the artist so that I could talk with some authority about them. Then as a class take one painting and analyse it (I would have done this first obviously) and then choose some other paintings and find something out about them. This would give the kids a model to use when researching their own artist (from a carefully selected group). I am a linguist not an art teacher. Has anyone done anything similar please? Any experience/ advice to offer? They are in Y9s, top set.

2. Helloooo! I am teaching a group for one lesson every 2 weeks. Their regular teacher has suggested a cultural project for them rather than try to catch up with her to teach them French language. I am fine with this but having done one lesson am really not happy with how it went - I don't like kids going in all directions much anyway but I didn't feel that what I sorted out for them was particularly interesting or enervating. So - I am thinking maybe a project on a French artist. I have got some ideas - I thought I could take a famous painting and do some simple research on the artist so that I could talk with some authority about them. Then as a class take one painting and analyse it (I would have done this first obviously) and then choose some other paintings and find something out about them. This would give the kids a model to use when researching their own artist (from a carefully selected group). I am a linguist not an art teacher. Has anyone done anything similar please? Any experience/ advice to offer? They are in Y9s, top set.

3. funambule

funambule New commenter

4. funambule

funambule New commenter

5. There is some great Spanish stuff on the painter Miro on TES resources. It talks about shapes and colours and that helps the kids to go on to describe the paintings. You could use the powerpoint and adapt to use with a French painter? My kids absolutely loved it and then they were able to go off and design and label their own painting.

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I've done a whole module on history of art in French and uploaded it on resources. If you click on my name, you should find them. Pupils really enjoyed it.