1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Project igloo!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sunpainter, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Groovy.... hope they were all washed first!

2. deanow

deanow New commenter

Love it!

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

That's brilliant! How are you sticking them together?
    Can't wait to see how the top goes on.

4. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Hm yes, gotta admit that I'll start the top without the help of the class as I'm sure they'll be some choice words! Just using a glue gun to stick together

5. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

Loving the igloo.
    We started one and are almost finished.......It's so exciting. The whole school is involved collecting milk bottles/ containers. My Yr 1 class are thrilled with it! We are making an ice hole . fishing rods, a camp fire etc tomorrow to go in it. Then next week the plan is to dress up warm and go on a Polar expedition and have a Polar Picnic.
    I love my job!!!
    Praying for snow...........just a little bit. It's not forecast for S.E. but you never know!

6. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

Oh wow ! I bet the kids love it, and how fabulous to hear that you are really enjoying your job too :)

7. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

Hi Fruitloop,
    have you got to the top yet?
    we're nearly there.... its taking for ever!!!!

8. rainbowdrop86

No not yet, ran out of bottles! Popping in tomorrow to see if I can finish it so they can actually use it! Only one week of the topic left!

9. rainbowdrop86

Finished! Not very dome shaped but not bad for a first attempt!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. deanow

deanow New commenter

fruitloop - that's fantastic. Well done! What are you doing after half term???!

11. rainbowdrop86

We're doing Roald Dahl, George's marvellous medicine in particular! So can't really link in the igloo!

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOWOWOWOW!!!! Well done you. Sooo brilliant.

You could keep the basic structure and turn it into a dream potion workshop type place. Stick lots of dream bottles on the inside and use it as a reading cave?

13. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

we're doing 'Down to the Woods' so our igloo will be covered by camouflage netting and will become our hide in the woods!
    It's too big to get out of the classroom so we have to re use it!

14. rainbowdrop86

So, kids used it for first time today! And the top part has collapsed a bit!

15. ahaa... photos appeared (weirdly before my post... dunno how that happened).
    Brilliant. How did you fix them together?

16. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

Any brilliant ideas for getting rid of it now?

17. ERU

ERU New commenter

We made an WW2 Anderson shelter with milk bottles last term. NEVER again!!! How did you stick them together? We used lots sticky tape. Did you get issues with washing them? Stale milk can reek!
    I used a van to take them all to the local tip in the end.

18. pjmteach

pjmteach New commenter

Well washed they have been ok.....Febreeze spray every week keeps it smelling good.
    We used hot glue gun to stick them together.
    A van to the dump sounds good
    x cheers

19. rainbowdrop86

Glue gun to stick together. It's still up in my room. Have now covered in with peach bed sheets to make it into James' giant peach. Next term it will become a dragons cave!