1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Project ideas - Hungry Caterpillar

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by K Faulkner, Mar 2, 2008.

1. I have been asked to devise a three week project for an Austrian Kindergarten (ages 3-6) based around the very hungry caterpillar.As a new TEFL teacher, whose area of expertise is secondary science, I am totally out of my comfort zone and keen to get any help I can. So.. if anyone out there has some good ideas or knows of a project that I could copy or adapt, I would be really really grateful.

2. I have been asked to devise a three week project for an Austrian Kindergarten (ages 3-6) based around the very hungry caterpillar.As a new TEFL teacher, whose area of expertise is secondary science, I am totally out of my comfort zone and keen to get any help I can. So.. if anyone out there has some good ideas or knows of a project that I could copy or adapt, I would be really really grateful.

3. Hi there - I am currently doing this topic with my reception class. We have planned maths based around adding the number of fruit the caterpillar has eaten, making caterpillars using numbered circles. I've linked this to a healthy eating topic so we will be tasting different fruits and discussing the importance of healthy choices. Our role play area is a cafe where the children are writing and designing their own menus - they are then making this food with playdough. I know it sounds horrible doesn't it! Is this along the lines of what you need as I can send you a topic plan if that helps?

4. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

burny- I would love a copy of your topic plan please as I am always looking for fresh ideas on topics. Thank you very much
    heleneurope99@hotmail.com

5. you all have mail - hope it helps!

6. Is there any chance you would mind sending me your topic planner through as well. We have planned this topic for next week
    amyfisher20@tiscali.co.uk

Thanks much appreciated

7. I know there's Hungry Caterpillar game on the resource bank somewhere cos I downloaded it last week!! (if you can't find it email me sonicwaffle@hotmail.co.uk and I'll send it on)

Can burny email me too if it's not too late? Thanks! :)

8. all done! Ours is part of a much wider theme on people who help us - farming and growing healthy foods for us to eat. I downloaded the game too which is great - can't find it now though! I am also attempting to go in to school dressed as a caterpillar for world book day on thursday so any suggestions for a costume would be welcome!

9. Burny, I have the game if you want me to email it to you?

I remember my friend using a sleeping bag to dress up as a caterpillar - but that might get a bit hot if you're in it all day!! Definitely buy a headband and get some pipe cleaners wrapped round it with a ball on top though :D

10. blimey - not sure i'm brave enough for the sleeping bag but a great idea. I was thinking of attaching paired socks at either side of me for legs!

11. you'll look fab, i'm sure.

you could use a sheet doubled over and sewn to make a tube, then pull it in and tie it with ties/string to make body segments at intervals (you could also use a sleeping bag for this if you want a more 'stuffed' look). yes, the idea about socks attached at the sides is a great one, could you stuff them with newspaper to make them less floppy? and wear deely boppers, of course. a bit of dylon dye and you'd be v authentic.

MrsM x

12. Thanks so much for offering Burny. Yes please can you e-mail me the topic plan.Sounds like you will be having fun with the topic! Good luck on Thursday!

faulkner_etc@yahoo.co.uk

13. I am in the process of a three week Hungry Caterpillar topic myself but it is only throughout literacy. Week one- We have just been getting to know the story by looking at the books making our own (very simple) books, story sequence cards, playdough to make the food, listening station with a CD of the story, and sentence frames, from the story, with missing words. In this week we are just encouraging lots of discussion around the story so the children get a real understanding it.
    Week two - We shall be acting out the story on the stage we have in our literacy classroom. What make a good performance? How can it be better etc. We're recording our first attempt asking all those questions then filming a second attempt and seeng if we have improved.
    Week three- After all that I am hoping that they will know the story inside out and for my HA/MA I am hoping that they will be able to create their own Hungry Caterpillar story books with their own independent writing and my LA to write some sentences with a little support.