1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progressive tyrannies

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Our working archetype of the modern tyranny is something like Nazi Germany. the USSR or North Korea. with their robust, blunt engineering of their societies & cultures. Governments now are no less Utopian in their ambitions, they simply have better PR, push through their reforms quietly under the guise of compassion and dress their enforcers in off-the-peg suits or t-shirts & baseball caps rather than jackboots & armbands.

We saw political silencing by secret police with then New Labour Foreign Secretary Jack Straw's shameful treatment of the elderly Walter Wolfgang and now we see it again from Canadian Liberal Party Prime Minister Justin Trudeau with his personal insults and his secpol's manhandling of an elderly Québécois woman for the crime of asking a legitimate question at a public meeting. He tells her that she does not belong in Quebec. Here is a recording of this incident followed by a CBC News report of it featuring Trudeau's doubling-down:

This woman did nothing more than ask when Trudeau would he repay Quebec owed money yet she was branded a racist. If our governments will personally traduce & silence the most venerable in our societies then why should we think they will show any other of us any greater regard if we publicly disagree with them? We should not allow ourselves to be persuaded that to disagree with fashionable policies & ideologies is to be fascist, racist or phobic. While we still have it we should use our free speech to protect our interests and those of our families.

For those who cannot recall the Walter Wolfgang incident:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I was watching this video from some 'comedy' sheet in the USA... James Corden urgh but I like Simon Pegg so I thought I'd see...

Someone makes a simple comment about travelling in Europe and people not queuing... and Pegg's response is to call it ''racist''... and then lectures ... and I can't work out if it's supposed to be funny or if it's serious...

Yeah this word ''racist'' is now used to the point where it is rendered meaningless. It's highly selective and mostly used these days to shut people down.

3. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Pegg has clearly been in Hollywood for too long.