1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progression next steps advice...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by evivyover, Oct 12, 2016.

1. evivyover

evivyover New commenter

Summary....Head of dept is leaving...school advertises on tes...slt have not approached any coordinators or 2nd in dept about 'naturally' applying for the position...career progression....? Their silence speaks volumes..

What do people think of this?

Slt way of saying no one in house is good enough?

Should those who feel like this is the next step apply in house or elsewhere for a fresh start?

Thanks

2. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

By the way you talk, it seems as if you are the 2nd in department or a key stage co-ordinator?
    If you are, I would have a conversation with the current HOD to discuss the 'chances' of getting the promotion. Do they (and you) think you are ready to step up and take on the additional responsibilities, if not, highlight a development plan, if it's not this time, it could be next time!

If you've both identified that you have a realistic chance in getting the promotion, submit an application for the position. Remember to write it as if you are an external candidate. When it comes to recruitment, it's not necessarily the internal candidate gets the position every time, it's the person who is the strongest overall. You've got to show the recruitment panel as to why they should choose you over a candidate who has a couple of years HOD experience from a different school..

If you've only been teaching for a couple of years, have no departmental responsibilities, I would advise that you probably would not stand a chance in getting the role. Get the years of experience under your belt, develop your teaching and re-evaluate it in a couple of years time. Remember, there is no rush to get to the top. I know someone who got a headship at 29, now to spend the next 35 years or so in a HT role with limited progression.