1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progression in Music at KS3 from Year 7 to Year 9

Discussion in 'Music' started by Rockmeamadeus, Mar 26, 2012.

1. This has the potential to be an interesting thread. I find year 7 are more prepared to sing, more relaxed about performing in front of class, more prepared to take risks. Year 9 on the other hand are often the opposite and this is compounded by the realization that they will not have to take the subject next year and the belief that it is not important.

I plan my scheme of work in order to meet the criteria that I have set for the attainment of year 9 students and all the units contribute to these learning goals. The goals and outcomes themselves are, for me, based on the need to demonstrate achievement at level 6,7 and possibly 8. I do have one or two year 7s who can achieve at this level, however I do not expect many to, while I would expect year 9 to be able to meet most of the criteria.

2. Wow! I was thinking about this very thing today and it is true that the enthusiasm wears off after 3 years. I too am struggling to prove that 9's are better than 8's or 7's. I am testing this theory after Easter. All classes will do the same basic sequencing project. There should be a marked difference of course between all 3 year groups, hence proving progress over time. I am going to get them to play in from scratch Somebody That I Used To Know. MIDI only with Audio vocals. I already knwo that my 7's are far better at editing MIDI than my 9's.