1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progression from KS1 to y3

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mowerman, Jul 8, 2011.

1. My son got level 3s across the board in his KS1 SATS last year. We recently received his Y3 levels, based on teacher assessment and optional tests and apart from reading which is now level 4, he had 3s again across the board. This appears to me that he has not made any progression throughout the year - am I right? No-one available at school today to discuss it and I don't want to worry myself silly all weekend if there's no need. [​IMG]

2. Level 3 is great for KS11 ! I wouldn't worry yet as your son is what, 7 or 8 , but I'd expect and demand some progress or explanation if there's no proress in the next school year. It may be that the teachers are misinterpreting the levels or there is insufficient moderation of standards in his school. Ideally he should achieve a level 5 in year 6 to compete successfully at KS3 and 4. Have you thought about a private tutor or helping him yourself? KS3 isn't rocket science

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Although <u>officially</u> there's no such thing as sub-levels, what you need to remember is that to move from a low level 3 (3c) to a high level (3A) is still 2 sub-levels of progress and what one might expect.
    There's also usually a dip in levels (in my experience anyway), in years 3 & 5 and the projected level in Year 6 is a secure level 4 (or 4b), so your son really is doing ok.

4. He's doing well.
    Progress often stalls especially among boys in KS3 ,in year 8 as teenage hormones kick in

5. bnm

bnm

Expected progress is one level over 2 years.
    Level 3 would be expected at the end of Year 3, for a child who was a level 3 at the end of Year 2. Expect level 4 at the end of Year 4.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

It's fine. He may just have tipped into Level 3c by one mark in Year 2, whereas now he's up at the 3a point, knocking on the door of Level 4. Hardly any of our Year 3s ever get into Level 4, other than in reading. (And that's because it's very easy to score highly in the Year 3 reading SATs)