1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progression for all in mixed ability classes

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by polyglot91, Jan 7, 2018.

1. polyglot91

polyglot91 New commenter

Hi folks,

Had a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

My question is: how do we ensure that all pupils are able to progress in a mixed ability class?

I am planning a lesson for beginner's Spanish, where the objectives are to be able to say what someone's name is, what age they are and when that person's birthday is.

I am already envisaging who will not be able to cope with this based on my experience with the class (I don't like thinking this way...). I think the majority will be able to do this fairly well. If they do, we will then move onto to describing physical characteristics. For the ones that didn't "get" it (or didn't want to get it), how do I prevent them from falling even further behind? There is already a large knowledge gap (different factors like attendance, attitude).

I constantly feel like I am having to pitch lessons so low that the ones who are really capable and considering taking our subject next year are being put off.

2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

Pitch the lesson for the majority and then have consolidation/extension tasks for the ones who need them.

I would do my intro and ask the pupils to self-assess where they think they are. Making it really clear with examples so that they can do this well. Pick up on this in the plenary to help the pupils understand if their self-assessment was accurate or not. The self-assessment would lead to their activity.

I don’t know why you would ever pitch a lesson for the lowest able. There will always be a gap between them because they are unique learners. Progress is not equal regardless of what the gov would like us to achieve.

polyglot91 likes this.
  3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

When did they start Spanish and what topics have been done so far? If they started in September, haven't they already done asking what someone's name is and saying what theirs is? Haven't they already done giving their age?

I'm mystified on how you could teach your 3 objectives from scratch in one lesson plan. Is it a consolidation lesson where you have already cover personal introductions, age, months of the year and numbers up to 31?

4. veverett

veverett Occasional commenter

There is some scope for different objectives/support:
    Just say their own birthday/age etc? Or say anyone's birthday/age etc?
    Able to understand other people's birthday/age etc or need to make notes and then look it up in a list of numbers?
    Learn the sentence by memory? Or know what the words mean?
    Have it written down and read it aloud? Or substitute words with a model sentence? Or memorised? Able to write it for themselves?
    Know the pronunciation rules, so can say the sentences? Or can say the sentences so can start to think about the rules?
    Can keep the Spanish in their head for a couple of seconds? An hour? Until next lesson?
    Just able to use "soy" and "tengo"? Or other persons of the verb in memorised sentences? Able to conjugate the verb?
    Physical description from memorised language? From a list of options? From words in a vocab list but able to put sentences together?

5. vuvuzela

vuvuzela Occasional commenter

Polyglot 91, have you heard of Kagen Cooperative Learning by any chance? It involves a lot of pair and group work in structured tasks that keep all pupils in the class active in learning at all times. This means that you can use the stronger pupils to bring on the weaker ones without becoming bored so, in theory, everyone should get something out of the lesson. Kagan Structures are easy to adapt to MFL lessons because they already involve pair work.

6. hs9981

hs9981 Occasional commenter

1. Register this site (free)
    2. Download this sheet
    3. Translate into Spanish

Bob's your uncle :)

https://en.islcollective.com/resour...guess_who_boardgame/questions-body-guess/7734

Put the sheet into a A4 plastic wallet, dry wipe pen off you go. Of course practice the vocab first.......... and leave the English below the Spanish (or remove it for most able)

7. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

Do you have access to ipads/laptops? Stick the fast finishers on Duolingo, while you work with those that need extra support...