1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progressing from main scale - is my understanding correct?

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by llov1_04, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I am looking for some advice and wondered whether my understanding of the next stage of my career is correct.
    In Sept I will progress to M5 on the payscale. The following year, when I go to M6 am I right in thinking that for the forthcoming years the option is to go through threshold to the Upper Pay Scale, apply for a leadship position to progress on to the Leadership Pay Scale or look at something like AST. If there are no leadership positions at my school such as phase leader and above, can I still progress to Leadership pay scale is the Head feels I am leading something on a whole school scale with an impact on the school? Also, I've been warned about moving to UPS as 'just' a class teacher, as when I apply for jobs at different schools I will be thought of as 'expensive' when compared to other applicants, even if this is for a leadership position.
    I am sorry if any of my comments above sound naive or ill-informed, but I really do not understand much at present about the next stages. Any advice/helpful comments would be gratefully received :)

2. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Once you have passed through the threshold, there is no going back but your other options aren't much cheaper: the head may appoint you to a leadership post but then if you go to another school the lowest scale you could be paid on would be UPS1 so you would be no better off. Once on the leadership scale (or AST) you are no longer protected by the directed time regulations so be careful what you wish for, I know one AST resigning into the darkness because of (what they see as) the unreasonable demands being made of them.
    Wouldn't it be good if you could rely on your head for some authoritative, reliable advice.