1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress Vs Attainment

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Imtellingonyou, May 29, 2012.

1. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

What would you think if a child has made within a key stage at least 2 sub levels of progress a year and still not reached their targets?

2. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

What would you think if a child has made within a key stage at least 2 sub levels of progress a year and still not reached their targets?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Our children are expected to make 3 sub-levels of progress in both years of KS1. So making only two and not reaching targets seems fine.

4. That the target was incorrect!

5. Expected progress is 2 sub-levels per year in KS2. Accelerated progress is 3 levels or more per year.
    So if a child comes into year 3 at a 2c you would expect them to get to 3a/4c
    If a child comes into year 2 as a 3c you expect them to get a 5c

6. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

No it isn't. Expected progress is 3 sublevels over 2 years in KS2, equalling one and a half sublevels each year, which rather neatly illustrates how the NC levels have been mangled over time to show progress in a way which was never intended.

7. Sorry I stand corrected! You are right 6 sublevels (2 whole levels) across KS2.

8. I would be happy personally. I have children who have made 3 sublevels progress and still not met their target. I am happy that the majority of my class have made at least 2 sublevels progress this year - what SLT thinks remains to be seen!

9. Who set the targets? Were the targets set for individual children or for the cohort?