1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress tracking advice

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by dianeathena, Sep 30, 2016.

1. dianeathena

dianeathena New commenter

Hi everyone,

I am a teacher trainee in a special needs school and this is the first year French and Spanish are being taught there. Therefore I don't have an MFL mentor to guide me or any document available to track pupils' progress.
    Does anyone have any advice on that please? Any way of doing it that works particularly well for you and that I could adapt to my pupils?

Thank you!

2. dianeathena

Or do be more specific, how to start gathering progress data when you start from sratch? For instance, I need to do Y7 stuff with my Y9 because they've never studied languages before.

3. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Although I don't teach MfL I'm sure that the way progress is tracked in English could easily be transferred, have you spoken to English / Humanities departments within your school to see what good practice they already employ?

Most schools have a system that they like to use, which is often SIMs based - do you have a link mentor within the school who could advise you on what the school policy is?

In the mean time I would suggest using either a paper mark book or an excel spreadsheet where you record how students perform at the start of the year (baseline) and then at regular intervals throughout your placement. I would advise that you divide this into disciplines such as Reading, Writing and Speaking and Listening. If you're feeling adventurous I would also suggest RAG rating (highlighting grades in RED for well below target, AMBER for just below target and GREEN for on target, you could also add an additional colour such as GOLD for those students who are performing above target) each students assessments so that you can see a very visual representation of how students are performing and improving - it will also help you to see areas that are in need of improvement.

I hope that is of some help :)

4. snail_friendly

Design a baseline assessment - something that you would give YR7 to ascertain basic knowledge - this should provide you with a starting point.

In terms of what progress they should be making you can base this on their KS2 levels (for now) which your YR9 students will have.

A student who has a KS3 Level 3 should achieve a D (3LoP) or C (4LoP) by the end of YR11 - you should be able to use this to work out what grade they would achieve at the end of YR9 and end of YR10.

If you have them on a 3LoP pathway then they should be aiming for an F at the end of YR9, and E at the end of YR10 and then a D at the end of YR11. For a 4LoP pathway it would be YR9 - E, YR10 D and YR11 C.

5. dianeathena

Thank you for your answer! My school doesn't use a particular system for tracking pupils' progress, but I will follow your advise and ask the Humanities and English teachers for some tips.
    I like the RAG rating idea! :)

6. snail_friendly

You're welcome! Good Luck!