1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress Questions for Early Years Interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sapphire611, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Sapphire611

Sapphire611 New commenter

Hello,

I recently had an interview for a teaching post in EYFS. I didn't get the job, but I have another interview next week for EYFS post. Both schools are fairly similar, in that they are in an area of deprivation with lots of pupil premium children. In my last interview, they asked me 3 or 4 questions on progress which I just didn't know how to answer. I can't exactly remember what they were, but they definitely asked one about giving an example of progress in an early years setting and another on what progress looks like in an early years setting.
    The first question I should have been prepared for, but my current position is that I work with under 2's and I struggled to think of an example of something that I did that helped a baby make progress and that I could also relate to 4 and 5 year old's. Just to clarify, I do have a teaching degree and have previously done lots of supply, but not much in early years.

I guess my question is what does progress look like in early years?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

In EYFS progress is all about "next steps". Young children develop at their own rate, so rather than saying (as we do with older children) "He's in Year 3 now so this is what he will be learning", in EYFS you look at what the child can actually do in order to decide what he needs to learn next.

With babies, this process is almost instinctive and we don't necessarily even think of it as 'teaching' - for example, baby points at something and you tell him what it is; baby starts pulling himself up on furniture so you make sure he has things around him that are solid enough to bear his weight while he practises; baby shows an interest in walking so you let her practise walking around holding your finger for balance.

For an older young child it's not necessarily as obvious what comes next, but the process of supporting him/her to make progress is the same. You need to observe what he can do now, understand what he wants to do (or could do) next, and support him to achieve that.

You can read lots of examples from page 8 onwards in this document: https://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2012/03/Development-Matters-FINAL-PRINT-AMENDED.pdf

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great answer, @Kartoshka ! Really helpful without actually putting words into Sapphire's mouth, because, of course, for an interview it's never a good idea to have somebody else's answer. Another candidate might have seen it too, and given the identical answer just before you. Or even the Head may have read it on here too.

Always be wary of getting answers from a book or website - you don't know who else has seen them. Same goes for ideas for observed interview lessons (if they ever happen again!).

There was a case some years ago where a candidate had a superbly planned lesson with great materials, which she said she had invented and prepared specifically for this interview. But when, in the interview, questions were asked about how it was planned, what was the underlying philosophy, why those materials, the answers were a little vague.

That's because the whole package, lesson and materials, had been taken from TES Resources. And the Deputy Head who was putting the awkward questions was . . . the Tesser who had invented it all and put it up on Resources!

So you never know who is interviewing you and what they know, what they have seen. Which is why THIS book to download to the free Kindle App is very careful to say that you will not get interview answers here, just giving you the support to answer yourself.

@Sapphire611 , you've done well to get more than one interview, you clearly have a lot to offer, and schools recognised that from your application. Well done!

Now make sure that you showcase your talents in your interview!

Best of luck