1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress measures

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Envyemerald, Sep 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Envyemerald

Envyemerald New commenter

2. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You don't need to as you can obtain a summary sheet of your progress scores. It is on the data checking web page.

You can also download the progress scores for individual children.

3. Envyemerald

Thanks Jesmond.

As a year 6 teacher, I don't have access to the data until next week so prepared a spreadsheet to do this for me! We struggled with attainment data and therefore were relying on the progress scores to keep us above floor.

I feel much better for having a look and getting an idea of how to work it all out as we are above the magic numbers for all subjects! I just wondered how others had done in comparison to attainment.

4. EmmaJ18

EmmaJ18 New commenter

Where are you accessing this? I can't seem to find it but am desperate to know! Thanks :)

5. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

You need to log on using HT details. I will post the link tomorrow.

6. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

7. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 New commenter

For writing - am I correct in thinking that the old 2B would give you 102.6 (16) to get a positive for expected 103 and any 2As and L3s needed to be at greater depth to be positive? Well done D1p5t1ck. That's top 25%. :)

D1p5t1ck likes this.
  8. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Well done, I am sure that we had minus scores. I have not really paid it much attention - putting off the moment I need to!

9. Envyemerald

I'm not sure chickenlady- I only worked out our progress scores and didn't really look at it in general.

Congratulations D1p5t1ck! Ours were all negative but only just.

10. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

The whole thing is a farce-we had a good cohort-in 2 yrs time our results will be far far less .
    The system of testing is wrong and heads, teachers and most importantly kids are suffering.
    It needs joint union action with naht, nut and nasuwt working together and saying simply 'no more!'

11. chickenlady4

I did it from scratch so had to go back to KS1 results. For example, I had a child who got expected, so I could only give him 103 points. The govs calculations said he needed to be 108 so he was already -5. Someone who had working towards could only be give 91 points but the gov said they needed 98 so they were -7. One who was growing towards could only be given 79 when they were supposed to be 95 (2c KS1) - another huge minus. AArgh! So I have checked- for this years year 6 I will need near 60% at greater depth otherwise big minuses!!

12. Envyemerald

I see what you mean Chickenlady. We also had some big negative differences. I found after calculating an overall average for each subject, it wasn't as bad. Have you reached an average progress score?

chickenlady4 likes this.
  13. Envyemerald

I haven't even looked looked at this years cohort yet! I darent for fear of of what I may uncover! I will do my best as always and encourage the children to do the same and be proud of their achievements. It's such a shame that often their best is not perceived as good enough in the numbers game.

D1p5t1ck and chickenlady4 like this.
  14. chickenlady4

Yes - but we are a small cohort. So quite a few needing 108, 110, 107 etc and I could only give them 103. Interesting that the highest they predicted for the max mark of 21 was 110 so no greater depths!!!. So if you had greater depths then that was an instant +3 or more.

15. Envyemerald

It must be much harder with a small cohort. As we have 63, we can absorb a few big negatives! The writing is definitely harder with such a small number of categories. Who knows... it may suddenly change again next year! Maybe this year will be a little easier as we know what we are working towards from the start of the year! :rolleyes:

chickenlady4 likes this.
  16. chickenlady4

Even more interesting is the scenario that the gov say a cohort needs to be anywhere between 104 and 109 (nowhere near the magic 113 for greater depth) and you could only award 103 - instant minuses for a cohort the gov say should be only within expected!! and you have failed!

17. chickenlady4

Oh yes - easier and may be I wont be so reserved. I stand by my expecteds and those below for various reasons. I was reserved on the greater depths. It wouldn't have made much difference though.

18. chickenlady4

This is the game broadly speaking - positive scores for writing are only achieved when a child crosses a boundary. If you have a broadly 2c child they will be expected to be 'working towards' (although probably high 90's) - you will only be able to give them 91 so a negative (and maybe huge) is built up. To be a positive a 2c child needs expected. A 2b child broadly speaking who makes expected may make a small + or a small -, a 2a child and a 3 child need to make greater depth to be + otherwise there will be large negative of up to -7.
    In short 2c and 2b need expected and 2a and 3 need greater depth.
    Gains are made only crossing borders and big gains are made for greater depth as the highest score the gov predicts is 110 not 113 so +3 per GD.
    Greater depth is the way to go!

19. karlo1981

karlo1981 New commenter

Reading average: 108, progress 2.5
    Writing progress: 0.7
    Maths average: 106, progress 1.4

Only looking at averages, not individual pupils.

20. D1p5t1ck

D1p5t1ck New commenter

We may not need to concern ourselves with sats as my gut feeling is the NAHT will consult on strike action linked to sats

karlo1981 likes this.