1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress 8

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Maddyuk, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Maddyuk

Maddyuk New commenter

Hi

I was wondering if you have got the same issues in your school than in mine. FFT levels were high enough at KS3 but progress 8 made it even worse, with over 70% of my top set students predicted 5 at the end of KS3, which is virtually impossible for them to reach. As a school, it has been agreed that 1= level 4 so 5 would be level 8 (NC levels)

As levels do no longer exist, do you do an equivalent ( 5=level 6 or 7 of NC) or do you create a whole lot of description so the students have a chance to get there?

Thanks

Maddy

2. MrsBM

MrsBM New commenter

I completely understand how you feel. I am similarly concerned about KS3 targets and have been trying to create a scheme which the department can use to show KS3 progress in line with the school's new grading system (and takes a best estimate account of what is needed for new GCSE grades) - but I am going to have some tough conversations with SLT over what they can realistically expect to see year on year. The school grading system has kind of tried to match up with the NC levels, but it is approximate at best. Good luck!

3. -myrtille-

-myrtille- Occasional commenter

I'm confused by what this has to do with Progress 8. Progress 8 is what schools are now judged on at KS4 (instead of % A*-C including English and Maths). It is likely to mean more pupils being encouraged to take language GCSEs as they need to be sitting exams in enough subjects that count for this measure. We already have compulsory MFL but put our weakest candidates in for the FCSE instead of GCSE (to reduce pressure on them and avoid having to drag them through controlled assessments) but we now can't do this if the pupil needs MFL in order to count in Progress 8 (even if they're going to get an F, it's better for the school's headline figure that they've done enough GCSEs in Progress 8 subjects).

In terms of KS3 assessments, we have created our own descriptions for the grades. We started at Grade 4 (a low C in old GCSE terms) and worked our way outwards.
    • Grade 1 = can write/speak in full sentences, key verbs correct, simple opinions (roughly old Level 3).
    • Grade 2 = can use connectives to link and extend sentences, justify opinions (roughly old Level 4).
    • Grade 3 = some grasp of tenses (could be 3 tenses with a lot of mistakes or 2 tenses with more accuracy) (roughly old Level 5 and GCSE Grade D).
    • Grade 4 = 3 tenses, more accurate than inaccurate, generally communicates clearly (on familiar/simple topics), can recognise common pitfalls/tricks in reading and listening (3rd person, negatives, tenses, etc.).
    We've told SLT that the maximum they can expect a Y7 to achieve is Grade 2 and the maximum in Y8 is Grade 3. This is because we want to build solid foundations in Y7 not get pupils to shoehorn in a load of tenses they don't fully understand.

We have a 3-year KS4 so find that in Y9 (when pupils have picked their options and become more focused) the more able pupils can really shine and make rapid progress. I don't think Grade 5 is out of reach for top set Y9s (maybe not 70% of them, but a fair few...), bearing in mind a 5 is supposed to be a high C grade in the old GCSE.

Perhaps thinking of it in those terms (GCSE grades rather than NC Levels) will help? Grade 1 = G, Grade 2 = E/F, Grade 3 = D, Grade 4 = low C, Grade 5 = high C, Grade 6 = B. I would say my middle-set Y9s are currently mostly around Grade 3 - they can write stuff (in exam conditions) that makes sense and has some correct tenses but still quite a lot of mistakes.