1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress 8 - Can I enter students for GCSE Biology alone?

Discussion in 'Science' started by jljr87, Nov 9, 2015.

1. jljr87

jljr87 New commenter

I am considering entering my low ability students for one single science. My thoughts being they would complete GCSE Biology only over two or three years.

Would their progress still be eligible for progress 8 with only completing one of the three single sciences.

Thanking you in advance

2. jljr87

jljr87 New commenter

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

AFAIK this isn't allowed, they have to do all the sciences but I admit I haven't kept up to date with changes so someon else can confirm this.

What I wonder is why you think biology would be easier for them than the others?

4. steve_cooke

steve_cooke New commenter

I've seen this discussed a couple of times on twitter with no definite outcome. There is definitely a KS4 National Curriculum requirement for a balanced science curriculum, although I've seen it argued that covering all three in Y10 and then concentrating on one to examination fulfills this. I'm not sure your plan would do that. But there is also a question about who the national curriculum actually applies to? If you are in an academy it may not apply at all.
    Then there is the problem of filling your progress 8 slots. Reducing the number of science GCSEs reduces the number of subjects available for your kids' ebacc slots and you really want avoid being in a situation where you have kids who can not fill every slot. Now that computing counts as a science maybe you could use that?

In truth though I do not think that you will get a definitive answer from a forum like this - until someone has tried it under the new rules it is too legalistic a question, with too much riding on it, for anyone to want to give you a yes on an open forum.

5. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

My understanding is that for Progress 8 you need to take Double Science (Core and Additional Science) or all 3 separate Sciences.
    Core Science alone or only one Science doesn't count.

6. jljr87

jljr87 New commenter

Thank you all, sorry for late reply, but really appreciate your answers. Following your input, I decided to look into entry level. Now I just need to decide which board is most accessible for SEN students.