1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Progress 8 and Attainment 8

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by uu15926, Mar 10, 2018.

1. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

As a trainee, I'm still trying to get my ahead around these indicators. As I understand it:
    1. Attainment 8 is an average of the grades achieved by students in various groups, years, etc.
    2. A comparison of Attainment 8 between two years, would show how the groups of pupils in a school are progressing.
    3. Progress 8 is not a measure of the progress that a school is making, but a comparison of how a school is progressing against other schools.
    4. It is impossible to infer how well the pupils in a school are achieving from the Progress 8 measure.
    5. It is impossible to infer how well a school is doing between years, from the Progress 8 measure.
    6. A school could have a negative Progress 8 measure, but could still be outstanding and improving.
    7. A couple of poor performing students, for whatever reason, could have a significant impact on Attainment 8 and Progress 8, and skew the results significantly.

tairatshote12 likes this.
  2. sckinsley

sckinsley New commenter

Hi,

I know what you mean. Have attached a pdf from DfE which is a useful reference. It's great being in a Middle School now - No KS4!

S

Attached Files:

tairatshote12 likes this.
  3. uu15926

uu15926 New commenter

Thanks for that, very useful.

4. tairatshote12

tairatshote12 New commenter

Thank you.
    I find this very helpful as I have struggled with the interpretation.